INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlist question  (Read 7048 times)

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Smartlist question
« on: October 21, 2005, 03:48:44 pm »

Hello there,

I have a smartlist ( [Last Played]=<=40320 ) that contains the songs that have not been played in the last month.  The smartlist in the MC view shows that it is removing songs that I just played but when I synch the iPod (60gb) they do not remove from the smartlist on the iPod.  I have the "Sync Data To MC" box checked off but it does not seem to help.  Any idea why?

Thanks,

BD6675

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Smartlist question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 09:22:54 am »

When you sync the iPod, is the Last Played field being updated correctly when viewed in MC (with the data from the iPod)?

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 10:19:32 am »

Hey Steve,

It appears as though the last played field is being updated correctly in my "Playlists" view in MC but I am not certain that the last played field is correct when I look at the iPod view under "Drives & Devices".  I will have to check that when I get home.

Thanks,

BD6675

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 03:52:23 pm »

When you sync the iPod, is the Last Played field being updated correctly when viewed in MC (with the data from the iPod)?

Hey Steve,

Yes, the Playlists, Media Library and iPod views in MC all show that the last played field is being updated.  The problem now is that they do not remove from my Last Played smartlist on my iPod ( [Last Played]=<=40320 ).  Is there a problem with my smartlist formula?  I want the smartlist to only contain tracks that I have not heard in a month or over.  Any ideas?  (Oh yeah, I am now running 11.1.41)

Thanks,

BD6675

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 04:24:04 pm »

Here is an update.  When I add new tracks to my iPod the smartlist gets updated on my iPod.  So, it seems that when I do a synch after playing a track on my ipod it will update the smartlist in the MC playlists view but it will NOT remove the the track from my smartlist on my ipod.  However, if I add a new track (or multiple tracks) to my ipod and then do a synch it will add that track(s) to my ipod and it will also update my smartlist on my ipod.  Without adding new tracks to my device the smartlist on my ipod will not be updated even though the last played fields everywhere are correct.  Hope this helps.

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 12:28:41 pm »

The problem is that the smartlists are not getting recalculated immediately after the data is synchronized from the iPod to the MC library. I would guess things will work fine if you disconnect and reconnect the device or even if you close the AW and repoen it.

We will work to address this so that the smarlists are immediately recalculated when data is synched from a device.

Thanks,

Steve

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 07:54:09 pm »

The problem is that the smartlists are not getting recalculated immediately after the data is synchronized from the iPod to the MC library. I would guess things will work fine if you disconnect and reconnect the device or even if you close the AW and repoen it.

Hey Steve,

The only way I can get the smartlist on my ipod to update is to add new tracks to my ipod.  Disconnecting and reconnecting does not work.  I updated to 11.1.44.

Thanks,

BD6675

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 08:10:58 am »

I am now on 11.1.46 and still the smartlist on my ipod will not remove the songs afer they have been played.  Any idea when this will be fixed or is this fixed and I am doing something wrong?

Thanks,

BD6675

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 09:09:12 am »

Smartlists in MC and smartlists on an ipod are 2 different things.
It will only remove it from the list on the ipod after your next sync with MC.  This is by design.
The dynamically updating ipod smartlists can only be achieved by syncing with itunes as far as I know.

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 10:01:09 am »

It will only remove it from the list on the ipod after your next sync with MC.  This is by design.
The dynamically updating ipod smartlists can only be achieved by syncing with itunes as far as I know.

Right, this is what is not happening.  When I sync my ipod the tracks are not being removed.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 10:46:44 am »

Check the options for the ipod device.
Make sure the checkbox to have ipod update MC is checked, otherwise MC won't see the changes.

I did a bunch of ratings on the ipod this morning.  I'll sync when I get home this afternoon and report back.

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 11:02:26 am »

Check the options for the ipod device.
Make sure the checkbox to have ipod update MC is checked, otherwise MC won't see the changes.

Hey Zxsix,

Yeah, as I noted in the previous posts on this thread I made sure the checkbox to have the ipod update MC is checked.  Still no luck.

Thanks,

BD6675

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 01:43:07 pm »

Date searches based on "time ago" aren't supported right now with MC 11.1.

How about the last 100 plays instead?: ~sort=[Last Played] ~n=100
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 05:59:50 pm »

How about the last 100 plays instead?: ~sort=[Last Played] ~n=100

I am not sure how this works.  What will this smartlist do?

Any idea when "Date searches based on "time ago" will be available?

Thanks,

BD6675

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 06:26:05 pm »

Just tested update from ipod to MC based on ratings changes.
The smartlist was refreshed and shows fewer songs now.
If your smartlist includes different criteria, maybe you should cut/past the smartlist rules for jriver to see.

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 07:19:24 am »

Just tested update from ipod to MC based on ratings changes.
The smartlist was refreshed and shows fewer songs now.
If your smartlist includes different criteria, maybe you should cut/past the smartlist rules for jriver to see.

I am not sure what you mean by this.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2005, 08:57:25 am »

Changes made on my ipod correctly updated the contents of my smartlist in MC.

If you are still having trouble, it may be due to a specific function of smartlists not working.  Copy/paste the command language of your smartlist in the forum to JRiver's staff can see it.
It will look something like this:
[Media Type]=[Audio] [rating]=4,5 [Genre]=[Rock]

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2005, 02:41:23 pm »

Date searches based on "time ago" aren't supported right now with MC 11.1.

Any idea when this will be supported?

Thanks,

BD6675

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 11:33:21 am »

Even with 11.1.51 the tracks are not removed from my iPod smartlist when I do a sync eventhough the last played dates are correct. 

I used this smartlist: [Last Played]=>d30

Any idea why?  Should it be working now?

lOth

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2005, 01:21:30 pm »

I used this smartlist: [Last Played]=>d30

If I understand the new system correctly, this will display all the songs that have been played in the last 30 days.

What you want is [Last Played]=<d30
No?

SteveG

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2005, 02:34:02 pm »

bd6675,

I think I0th is right on the money. I just tested this and it seems to be working well for me.

Steve

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2005, 07:11:54 am »

Hey Steve,

I have the smartlist setup exactly as you say it should be: [Last Played]=<d30  and I am still not able to get the tracks to remove from my smartlist on my iPod.  As I have mentioned earlier, the tracks do remove from the smartlist in the MC Playlists view but somehow the updated smartlist in the MC view is not telling the iPod to remove the tracks that were just played.  I did a restore and started from scratch and here is what i do:

I initially go to "Tools" and then select "Options" and select the "sync mode- Playlists (select below)" option.  I then select ALL of my playlists including my one smartlist (315 total playlists).  I then go under "Advanced Options" and select "Delete tracks from handheld if not on sync list" and "Get data from handheld on sync (ratings, etc.)" and then I go to my iPod in the MC view on the left side and right click on my iPod and select "synchronize".

When I do that the tracks I just played remove from the smartlist in the MC view but not from my smartlist on my iPod.  Any ideas?  I must have a setting wrong somewhere because it works for others.

SteveG

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2005, 08:57:03 am »

Are the date and time set correctly on the iPod?

When I do that the tracks I just played remove from the smartlist in the MC view but not from my smartlist on my iPod.

If you then close MC and reopen it and resync do the tracks update correctly on the iPod?

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2005, 09:39:51 am »

Hey Steve,

Yes, the dates and times are correct on both my computer and my iPod.  Should they be exact time wise?

When i close MC and then reopen and do a sync it still does not remove the tracks.

Any other ideas?

SteveG

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2005, 01:05:26 pm »

What types of files are they?
Is conversion enabled?

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2005, 07:58:28 pm »

The files are mp3s (is that what you are asking?)  Is the conversion option you mentioned under advanced options in the handheld section of the options?  If so, the mode is don't convert audio.

SteveG

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2005, 09:29:29 am »

You gave me the answers that I needed thanks. Based on the answers, I still do not have a good idea what is causing your iPod to misbehave in this situation.

Can you try initializing your iPod so that it has nothing on it and then rerun the test with a small number of files to try to narrow this down?

Thanks,
Steve

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2005, 07:01:28 pm »

Hey Steve,

Now my smartlist will not remove the tracks from my MC smartlist (prior to upgrading to 11.1.58 the tracks would remove from my smartlist in MC but they would not remove from my smartlist on my iPod).  I know that the < > signs changed recently but I changed my formula:
   [last played]=>d30

Now the smartlist just includes tracks I HAVE played in the last 30 days.  I want it to exclude the tracks I have played in the last 30 days.  If I switch the > sign for a < sign, the smartlist does not populate with ANY songs.

So, before I can test my smartlist I need to get the formula correct.

Thanks,

BD6675

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2005, 10:53:00 am »

bd6675,

When they changed the < > they also changed the syntax for the date varialbles...The d should now come after the 30.

Try [Last Played]=>30d

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2005, 12:20:50 pm »

Thanks for the update.  Even with this change I have a feeling that the info will not update the smartlist on my ipod.  The reason I say this is because when I had the formula: [last played]=>d30  and played a track it added that track to my smartlist in the MC view but it did not add it to smartlist on my ipod.  So basically no matter what the smartlist happens to be, the ipod does not update.  It definitely seems to be an issue with information being transferred back to the ipod.  Hope this helps a little.

Steve,

How do I create a smartlist that just includes a small amount of files?  I can add one or two of my playlists to my ipod but I can not come up with a last played smartlist that will just include those files.

SteveG

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2005, 01:12:28 pm »

You could add a rule that limits the number of files.

(e.g.  [Last Played]=>30d ~n=5 )

Sorry for some confusion with the syntax of the Last Played rule as it has been changing recently. Take note in the example I just gave that  the rule will produce files that have not been played in the last 30 days. If this is what you want, use the rule as I have posted it and do not use the ~n=5 part because it will make it impossible to verify your results. I just tested this with 11.1.058 and it works well for me.

If you are not testing with the build from yesterday (11.1.058) please get it as there was a change that may affect your testing.

Is anyone else seeing this problem??

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2005, 04:03:04 pm »

This is the exact problem I've been describing in the alpha build threads.  I just did a test with 11.1.058 where I played 10 songs within a smartlist that uses the [last played] string.  MC receives the playcount fine, but smartlists do not get updated or sent if no songs need to be uploaded.  Even if I click on "Sync now" again, it doesn't change.  The only way for smartlists to get updated (or shown at all) is to have MC upload a song, even if you have to delete it first.  Also, synchronizing deletes any cover art you succeeded to get on for all existing songs (any song that gets uploaded during a sync gets cover art).

Again, my specs are 60 GB iPod Photo model M9586LL, firmware 1.2, Win98SE.

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2005, 06:08:10 pm »

If it helps I upgraded to 11.1.59 and still the same thing.  I also have a 60g model M9586LL version 1.2.

SteveG

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2005, 01:21:04 pm »

bd6675,

What operating system do you have?

Steve

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2005, 04:52:13 pm »

Media Center Registered 11.1.59 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2990 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2096 MB, Free - 1676 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: TEAC    DVD+RW DV-W58E    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: TEAC     DVD+RW DV-W58E     Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:32  MaxSpeed:32  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive F: SONY     DVD RW DRU-510A    Addr: 2:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JSmithson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2005, 06:51:50 pm »

Last night I started having this problem also. Each time I refreshed the smartlist the same 9 songs appeared. (the ones I had just played). I had many smartlists with a  [Last Played]=<=40320  like paramater. Thay had always worked fine before.

I changed them all to [Last Played]=>1y  and they all work fine now.

Jim

SteveG

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2005, 08:14:26 am »

bd6675,

Can you post your current smartlist rule that is giving you the problem?

(There have been a variety of suggestions and I just want to verify your exact syntax that is the current problem)

Thanks,

Steve

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2005, 09:12:20 am »

Hey Steve,

[last played]=>d30

Thanks,

Chris

SteveG

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2005, 10:06:30 am »

Chris,

Thanks,

With that rule and 'Sync data to PC' enabled, my last played smartlist updates correctly, but iPod is not synchronized unless I delete a file and then resync. The last part of this is a current limitation of MC and will be addressed in the future.

Steve

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2005, 01:59:06 pm »

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the update.  Any idea when this will be fixed?

Bd6675

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2005, 02:26:10 pm »

I seems that 11.1.60 fixed my issue.  What changed?  Thanks for getting that figured out.

SteveG

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2005, 10:08:39 am »

There was a bug that could have caused the problem. Thanks for your information along the path to the cure.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up