INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Files, Preserving Playlists.  (Read 1446 times)

elpaolo

• World Citizen
Moving Files, Preserving Playlists.
« on: August 18, 2005, 02:13:33 pm »

What's a tried and true process for moving files on disk and preserving the playlists they might be associated with?

I tried just moving them in explorer and such (I'm creating some new partitions, etc.), and the database in MC11 picked them up...but...at the expense of messing up a bunch of playlists (thank goodness for backups).

Any ideas?  Or maybe even a feature I'm unaware of?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moving Files, Preserving Playlists.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 06:17:11 pm »

Any ideas?

why don't you use Move Or Rename In Media Center

both will move and will not mess up your playlists

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

elpaolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 06:53:33 pm »

Genius.

Thank you.

bopz

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 02:11:00 am »

Hi, I'm using MC 11.

The number of steps required to move files or directories
in MC seems too large, and relinking should be simpler.

You should be able to just drag and drop in a Windows Explorer - style way and have everything update sensibly, with a confirm dialog.

also the Rename function moves the files, creates new folders and deletes old empty ones, beautifully, but - it doesn't refresh the file/folder tree! The user has to go through the trouble of re-importing the main folders and rebuilding all the library links. That could mean hundreds of unneccessary folders.  It should at least update the folders that were involved in the rename!

Also it would make much more sense if you could just right-click on a folder in the folder tree, and select one of the following options:
"Refresh Folder" and/or
"Refresh Folder and Sub-Folders"

this should rebuild all the library information just for that sub-tree.

For an example of a simple program that does this, see
http://www.wizetech.com/mex/index.shtml

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 04:20:09 pm »

You should be able to just drag and drop in a Windows Explorer - style way and have everything update sensibly, with a confirm dialog.

You can do that in an MC Explorer - style way in Drives & Devices on the MC Tree. It updates the database too.

also the Rename function moves the files, creates new folders and deletes old empty ones, beautifully, but - it doesn't refresh the file/folder tree! The user has to go through the trouble of re-importing the main folders and rebuilding all the library links. That could mean hundreds of unneccessary folders.  It should at least update the folders that were involved in the rename!

All rename functions in MC update the database. You must have done something wrong. Did you have the files imported before renaming?

Also it would make much more sense if you could just right-click on a folder in the folder tree, and select one of the following options:
"Refresh Folder" and/or
"Refresh Folder and Sub-Folders"
this should rebuild all the library information just for that sub-tree.

MC keeps the library up-to-date. The current view may not update until you go away from it and back again or close and reopen the tree branch. Also, pressing F5 updates the views.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bopz

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 07:48:05 pm »

You can do that in an MC Explorer - style way in Drives & Devices on the MC Tree. It updates the database too.

Oh. That's nice. Is there any reason why this doesn't work the same way in Library-Audio-DiskLocation? Why is there a distinction between these two ways of looking at folders in the filesystem? I'm sure there is a reason, but I feel that it would be more intuitive if they worked the same way. I guess this is what new users are for, stumbling over things others have gotten used to. But it could be more intuitive, no?

All rename functions in MC update the database. You must have done something wrong. Did you have the files imported before renaming?

Yes they are all imported.

Firstly, regarding the refresh issue: I did as you suggested, collapsing and expanding a branch. This does help a bit. Refreshing shows the new folders and no longer displays the deleted folders. But, since I'd selected that folder in the Tree View before running Rename, would it be possible to intelligently refresh that sub-branch after a Rename?

Secondly, it's more than a refresh issue. I copied a track by dragging it from the List pane into another folder in MC Explorer under Drives and Devices, and a quick check via Windows Explorer confirms the copy. MC Library however, does not automatically import the new track into that folder/album, unless I do a full update of the entire music collection using "Import Media". It's a hassle.

In both the refresh case and the copied track case, an option to update only a sub-branch of the music collection would help, I imagine this would be just right-click updating specific folders in the Tree View without going through the File-Library-ImportMedia hassle. This would also help if the user has done something outside MC with a third party program or Windows Explorer and only needs to update that folder or sub-branch.

bopz

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 08:28:14 pm »

I just confirmed that the problem exists with moving files as well as copying them under Drives and Devices. Clicking the folders under the Drives and Devices Tree shows the file changes. But clicking folders under the Library-DiskLocation Tree does not show the changes even after refreshing.

maybe I'm a bit confused - why do we have two different tree views of the filesystem and why do they need to behave differently?

Pages: [1]   Go Up