INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clicking Sound on burned CD's  (Read 2747 times)

ohohyodasoda

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Clicking Sound on burned CD's
« on: December 07, 2005, 10:05:09 am »

HI Gang,
I am using Media center 10.0, and mostly it is working well.  I am in the process of taking all my old vinyl albums and recording them to cd's in WAV format.  Later I will rip them into mp3's and add to my hard rive to be played by MC.

After the album is recorded to my computer as WAV files I can play them fine.  The files sound perfect.  And in fact I have been able to burn audio cd's that are fine with a different program (not MC).  However if I try to burn an audio CD using MC, some strange artifacts are introduced into the CD.  The artifacts sound like clicking and pops. 

Being as I can make perfect CD's with a different program from the files that MC recorded, you would have to believe that MC has some kind of glitch in the code that does the burning.

I know this subject has been adressed a long time back but I cant seem to find the correct threads in INteract.   Was it ever discovered what causes this problem?  and has there been a resolution. 

Running a P2 600, soundblaster live, 650MB main memory, Plex 24/10/40 burner.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks, Bob

---------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE...............

This is a playback problem.  Not a burning problem.  Even store bought CD's have the clicking and popping sound.

After fiddling around for 3 hours I have discovered that the clicking and popping will go away if you disable "digital playback" in the options/devices/CD Audio settings.

Another thing I discovered is that Windows Media Player will do digital audio playback (with visualizations running) and there is no problem.  Could this be a problem with the codec that is being used to play back in MC??  I will be honest with you I don't know much about the internal workings of this stuff.  Just reporting what I have discovered.  Hope you can find a solution to this playback clicking issue.
Thanks,
Bob
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Media Center Registered 10.0.173 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium III 601 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 654 MB, Free - 517 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive G: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W2410A   Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Pages: [1]   Go Up