INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using upnp devices for zones  (Read 1057 times)

tmorten

• Recent member
Using upnp devices for zones
« on: December 06, 2005, 10:20:11 am »

Would it be possible to implement support for upnp devices to constitute zones (instead of local sound cards)?

This way we could wirelessly push music to any number of remote locations around the house.  Some other packages (notably, SlimServer for the Squeezebox) support this, and I've heard there is a similar solution available for Roku devices. 

It would be great to have generic support in MC, now that there are upnp devices available from so many vendors.  This would make MC a far superior solution to Sonos, and would bring the benefit of multiple zones to a much broader base of MC users.

Myron

• World Citizen
Re: Using upnp devices for zones
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 11:36:12 am »

You can do this now with a UPnP control point.  Cidero (http://cidero.com/) has a Java-based program that runs on the PC and Rudeo (http://rudeo.com/playctrl.htm) has one that runs on a Pocket PC.

I agree it would be a nice feature to have in MC, but I'm personally much more interested in a Pocket PC version.

I've tried the Cidero software and it does work with a few bugs.  It supports multiple players (I tried it with two).

I haven't tried Rudeo's Play and Control.  In a response to an e-mail they said it doesn't support MC server due to the lack of search functionality.  It's not clear if it will work if the search is not used from the control point.  I'm trying to get this answer now.

tmorten

• Recent member
Re: Using upnp devices for zones
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 04:01:17 pm »

I control MC using NetRemote on PocketPC, so the big win would be to have MC natively support upnp devices for zones... this way, control could be integrated into a central remote (which can itself be zone-sensitive).  Controlling other apps like Cidero or SlingServer isn't as elegant, due to their lack of integration with NetRemote.
Pages: [1]   Go Up