INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you select multiple criteria in view  (Read 1530 times)

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
How do you select multiple criteria in view
« on: December 11, 2005, 01:56:08 pm »

Hi, I'm not sure what search criteria to use in this forum for the following question, so figured I'd just ask:

I tag my pictures in MC11 using the People/Places/Events scheme. I'd like to know if it's possible to easily search for pictures that contain 2 or more selected people in the view.

For example, show me pictures where Ken and Karen are in them. If you control-click on 'Ken' and 'Karen' in the People view, you get all pictures of Ken and/or Karen in them.

I guess what I want to know is how to get an 'and' operator result, instead of an 'or' in a simple control-click selection. Is this possible in MC11?

Thanks,
Ken

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do you select multiple criteria in view
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 03:40:25 pm »

it's a tough one that all image library applications I've tried struggle with. one of them offers a "closest match" option that while not perfect, does a not bad job of it.

I'm anxiously awaiting some neat new image catalogue toys to try out in the current 11.1 beta phase that may or may not tackle this particular FAQ.

In the meantime, there a couple of awkward work-arounds that might be of use to you...

I forget the members name now, but I remember reading how someone had set up a custom field they used to catalogue the number of people an image contained, so, selecting karen and ken in the people column, then "2" in this custom column would return the files you were after. Initially, this could require a considerable time investment if you have several thousand files, but after that, should be easy enough to maintain.

entering this in the search box:

[=isequal([people],ken;karen,1)]=1

will also return the files you desire.... BUT.... maybe not all of them..
it would appear that MC merely appends new entries in the semicolon delimited list, therefore, you may also need a seperate search of...

[=isequal([people],karen;ken,1)]=1

to show the rest. If you wanted a more permanent search on these two dudes, create two new smartlists, one for each of the two searches above.
then create a 3rd smartlist. Use the wizard to add the previous 2 smartlists to the search rules of this 3rd list and use it to get your list of images that show just ken and karen

:)

-marko.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 07:15:13 pm »

I forget the members name now, but I remember reading how someone had set up a custom field they used to catalogue the number of people an image contained, so, selecting karen and ken in the people column, then "2" in this custom column would return the files you were after.
It was Cmagic.

See more info here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=28894.0

And here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=22754.0

Another way to do what you mentioned is to create a view scheme with two "People" entries. Selecting muktiple entries within a column gives you "OR" and selecting across columns gives you "AND". This way you can click on 'Ken' in the first one then 'Karen' in the second. This will show all photos with both 'Ken" AND 'Karen', but will also show photos with 'Ken', 'Karen', 'Bob' etc etc.

As Marko said, the only way at the moment to show photos with only 'Ken' and 'Karen' is to create a separate field (eg People #) and enter how many people are in each photo.

Until JRiver comes up with some expression to output the number of entries in a list field, this is something that will have to be done manually.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 01:11:34 am »

It was Cmagic.
Nice one. Thanks for the reminder.

As Marko said, the only way at the moment to show photos with only 'Ken' and 'Karen' is to create a separate field (eg People #) and enter how many people are in each photo.
not the only way... the nested expression searches will work too.

Until JRiver comes up with some expression to output the number of entries in a list field, this is something that will have to be done manually.
this would a nice option to call on at times for sure.

Remember that the 11.1 beta cycle is not over yet. It looks like handhelds are just about nailed, and the GUI is getting a little makeover atm...
who knows what may be next on the agenda....

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 03:30:47 am »

Awesome! Thanks for the answer darichman and marko!

I created a new view scheme (copying the existing people/places/events) and modified it so it has 3 people columns.

So I can select Ken in the first, Karen in the second and say Dad in the third and all I get is pictures with all 3 of us in them!!

This is exactly what I was looking for. :o) I knew there was some way to do it in MC without resorting to creating specific Smartlists.

Thanks again!
Kwake

Pages: [1]   Go Up