INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copying dead tags to new imports  (Read 936 times)

dNj

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I might be a porcupine.
Copying dead tags to new imports
« on: December 14, 2005, 09:53:35 pm »

This past weekend i lost about 6gb of music on one of my drives.  I'm almost finished ripping the music back to my drive, but I really don't want to have tag all those files again.  I havent delete the dead files from MC yet so I'm wondering is there a way to copy the tags from the dead files to the newly imported files?

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Re: Copying dead tags to new imports
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 02:31:12 am »

If the files are named the same and in the same location as the lost ones, you can use Library Tools Update Tags (from library)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Copying dead tags to new imports
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 04:20:08 am »

If the album files were in separate folders and the individual filenames are difficult to recreate without the library information this workaround may help:

- Rename the missing library files inside MC using a simple rule. For example, use just the track numbers. Ignore the possible warnings about missing files.

- Name the newly acquired files similarly: 01.xxx, 02.xxx, 03.xxx etc and use a folder rule that places them in the correct folder structure. If you are going to rip the new files with MC use a different library for ripping and keep the original library intact.

- After you have the new files in place use MC tools for applying the library information and renaming the files properly.

Remember to make a library backup first and build a working backup strategy for the media files so you don't need to do this ever again.

I have found external USB2 or Firewire HDs useful for media file backups. I keep two backup copies of my about 500 GB of data. Currently I have a pair of big drives near my main server PC and another pair in a safe place. I keep the nearby drives powered only when making backups. I make incremental backups almost daily and exchange the backup drives weekly or so. The latest backups are always on the nearby backup drives and the safe place has another a bit older copy of my data. Sometimes I have made mistakes and made a backup before noticing them, but I have been able to restore the files from the older copy.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up