INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume boost for Creative Zen Xtra  (Read 1229 times)

Eviscerator

Volume boost for Creative Zen Xtra
« on: December 15, 2005, 04:44:00 pm »

Hi there!
I'm trying to find some firmware that will increase the maximum volume of my creative zen xtra. I'm sure that such a thing exists. If it could icnrease it by 5 notches I'd be happy, but if you can tell me about ANY firmware updates that increase the maximum volume, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks in advance!

-Evi.

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
Re: Volume boost for Creative Zen Xtra
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 03:14:37 pm »

Are running the U.S. firmware or the EU firmware? The EU firmware is volume-limited, so lots of EU users flash their Xtra with the U.S. firmware.  Note that the latest firmware is non-reversible, so unless you need the Plays-For-Sure capabilities it offers, I'd stay away from it.  (Some users have bricked their Zens during the upgrade, too.)  A good resource for all the Creative players is nomadness.net.  You'll find lots of threads on the US/EU firmware issue there.

One other thing you can try is to increase the gain on your mp3s using the freeware mp3gain (http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net), which is completely reversible (does not reencode the files).  But if you boost gain too much, you'll get clipping on your tracks.

BTW, my understanding is that the Xtra will read the replay gain info written to the file header by mp3gain, but that Media Center will not.  Conversely, the Xtra is not affected by MC's "audio analysis".
Pages: [1]   Go Up