INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tree structure questions (11.1)  (Read 1667 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
tree structure questions (11.1)
« on: December 13, 2005, 03:47:37 pm »

I don't really want to reset to default viewschemes.

I had added some exclusions to the old media library tree node, these are still being honoured, but I can't see how to access them for editing. Is this no longer possible?

I have some viewschemes placed in the tree root. I don't see a way to add any more. Is this no longer possible?

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: tree structure questions (11.1)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 01:36:01 am »

this morning, I cloned my library, then reset to defaults. a massive rethink could well be on the horizon for me.

the upgrade from "pre-media library" versions has preserved the 6 viewschemes and one viewscheme group I have on the tree root. These fall between the "documents" and the "playlists" nodes.

These are useful because they are true "all media" viewschemes. Sure, I can recreate them inside one of the default media type nodes, but then they are very much out of place in the tree.

So far, I've been unsuccessful in my attempts to add a viewscheme to the tree root.
I'm also none the wiser about the preserved "media library" filters I'd added prior to these recent changes. They are definately still active, but a reset to defaults removes them, and I see no way of replacing them from a default scenario, nor editing them in my current state.

Some guidance here would be most welcome in helping me decide where I go from here.
thanks,
-marko.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 02:46:04 am »

Yeah, someone didn't think this through properly. I've had similar problems... Marko, there is a way to create new views in the root directory, but it takes a bit of fiddling :)

Rename one of the other view schemes (I turned "Advanced" into "All Media" and changed the image to a scheme group), remove any filters (or add ones you want in there). Then backup your library and reinstall MC: it will make another "Advanced" tree entry to replace the one you hijacked.

It's a dodgy way of doing it, but that's what I had to do... or else lose all the multi-category schemes I'd created...

Please bring back Media Library!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 04:04:37 am »

interesting.

If only because I don't have an "advanced" tree node when the viewschemes are reset to default. (I've not had "advanced" for around a year now after heavily editing that area of the tree)
The only editable viewscheme node is the "documents" one, and after editing then reinstalling, a new "documents" node is not created, so this work around isn't working for me.

My old "Media Library" node had exclusions for things like wallpaper and album art images, where I built viewschemes specifically for viewing those files. Now while those filters are still in place, I cannot access them to edit, or to replace if at the default viewschemes stage.

I'll be honest with you, I don't really want "media library" to return. I really like the new structure.
What I need is the ability to apply global filters like we could via "edit viewscheme" for "media library" and the ability to add viewschemes to the root of the tree.

I will play around with this a little more..
I reckon I could probably work my around the global filter thing if I really have to...
Adding viewschemes to the tree root though... really need that one back asap if possible.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 12:58:21 am »

Very strange indeedy :)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 03:23:11 am »

for the record, my old, global, "media library" filters are no longer in effect.

still, feels odd having all that editorial power over my library removed in this way.
I still feel that (simply?) being able to add root items to the tree is the way to go.

There's another thread on the go dealing with the same subject... find it here....

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30774

and so as to keep all comments and responses in one place, I'll lock this thread.
If you have any opinion on this matter, please reply via the link above.
There'll be no point discussing it after 11.1 goes gold

thanks for reading.

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up