INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move "Media" to new Box  (Read 824 times)

carfac

• Recent member
Move "Media" to new Box
« on: December 19, 2005, 01:48:37 pm »

Hi:

I am sure all of you have to make things conform to a certian amount of SAF, as do I. The Media Center is very nice- my wife can figure it out. But because all my music is upstairs, and I use a Media PC at the stereo, I am having a problem- she sometimes forgets to turn on the upstairs computer, and gets all flustered- "Why do I have to remember all this?"

So, I am going to move all my music (200 gigs) to a new drive I am going to add today to the Media Center PC. I was hoping someone might have a couple hints as to how to do this with as little hassle as possible. I can copy the files across the network, but how to I "re-point" media center to the new location?

As a lot of the files are WAV, they do not have the Cover art and associated information in the files. And I sure do not want to re-enter all that info. I would like to preserver all that, and move it, too.

Also, I can go IDE or SATA- figuring on SATA- any comments? I have no problem with streaming speeds, but do you think it is smart to maybe to the Backup RAID when I do this?

Thanks!

Dave

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: Move "Media" to new Box
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 02:09:20 pm »

Can't really comment on the other stuff,
but have you looked at External drives for your new disk?
I've just ordered 250gb USB drive for £85 which is only £5
more than I was looking at an internal one (Not sure on conversion rates, plus that stuff is cheaper
in america anyway).
For that it comes with an external power supply and everything.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007R6CGC/qid=1135022992/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-4151771-0374826

If you've got abit more money you can get em to plug
straight into the Router, which saves having a computer turned on at all.
Apparently there are even some routers starting to appear that allow you to add USB
 storage to them.

I only mention it cuz i was looking at them two days ago :-)
I've not received it yet, but it looks good in the advert!
Means it's much more portible between machines  :)

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
Re: Move "Media" to new Box
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 10:57:03 pm »

My guess is this would not conform to the Liscensing Policy that was such a heated argument last year, and that you would not be able to bring the copy with you but I am sure one of the admins will chime in
Pages: [1]   Go Up