INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: m4p to MP3 Conversion  (Read 1124 times)

TimB

• Citizen of the Universe
m4p to MP3 Conversion
« on: December 28, 2005, 05:52:03 am »

If I want to burn CDs from M4Ps iTunes and import them as MP3s into MC 11.1 is there a way to also bring the track titles and album name over (export/import playlist?) so I don't have to retype them?

Thanks!

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
Re: m4p to MP3 Conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 07:48:12 pm »

iTunes doesn't support CD-Text, so you're screwed.  :-[

lukecro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • editorial, publishing
Re: m4p to MP3 Conversion
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 02:46:17 am »

If I want to burn CDs from M4Ps iTunes and import them as MP3s into MC 11.1 is there a way to also bring the track titles and album name over (export/import playlist?) so I don't have to retype them?

I can help a bit with this question....

Having not experimented with too many m4p files myself, there is one thing I'm not sure about: can MC burn a CD using M4p files? If it can, then that could be a solution for you, since MC typically remembers the track info for any CD that you created using MC. So If you burn with MC and then rip the same disk with MC on the same computer, then everything would, I think, stay intact or be easily restored.

If this isn't an option, then you might still get lucky -- after ripping the CD you made (regardless  of where where/how you burned and ripped), in MC you could of course try highlighting everything and choosing "Look up track info from YADB." If it recognizes your files everything will get filled in for ya. But then again, it likely won't recognize all your files, after the burn-rip-convert process you just put 'em through...

However, there are a host of other options available these days, instead of having to waste a bunch of CDs by burning M4Ps as audio tracks and then re-ripping as MP3:

This bPurcell.org blog entry (and, more so, all the comments below the blogger's post) offers a lot of interesting info on how to pull this off. Note that the blogger gives a very clear method on how to do this, but it's time consuming -- his readers then show how his process can be streamlined. There's some debatre over what's the best method, though.

Of course, with most methods you're still likely to lose your Tag info (track name, artist, album, etc.), but this can be fixed if easily enough if you're able to retain your file names. Just do a mass file-rename of your M4Ps so that all the info you want to keep is written into the file name, and then, after you converted everything, you can use MC to do a "fill properties from file name" batch and everything will get filled back in.

Now, one comment on the bPurcell blog that caught my eye is the following. Note that I haven't tried using the program that the guy mentions, nor do I know if it costs money... so take it with a grain of salt. But it sounds perfect.

------

Here is what worked for me and it seemed a lot easier than everything else I have read....

For starters I use windows 2000 and have iTunes 4.7.0.42

1. I downloaded, installed and ran iOpener 0.2.

2. After iOpener starts up it will ask you for your iTunes account ID and password. Enter it and then it will scan your drives to find m4p media bought through iTunes and then it automatically converts it to m4a. Note: it places the converted m4a files in the same directory as the original mp4 file.

3. I then dragged the converted m4a files into an iTunes playlist and used iTunes "convert to mp3" feature. Note: I noticed that if I tried to convert using dbPoweramp it would not retain the id3 tags but using iTunes cured that issue.

Now you should have the same songs in m4p, m4a and mp3.

All in all it worked like a dream especially considering that I was trying to convert the Complete U2 digital box set I bought off of iTunes. I couldn't imagine having to convert nearly 450 songs the other ways mentioned here and elsewhere. After getting iOpener it was basically a 2 step process.

Hope this helps.

Posted by Brian In California at 12/11/04 2:26 PM

-----

This iOpener program is probably not legal (at least used in this way), but then again, unlocking an m4p file isn't exactly legal no matter how you do it, even if you do own the file; and since it's not legal, MC will never be able to automate this for us. We're just lucky that MC can read, play, import, and tag (to a certain extent) the M4a files and work with ipods.

Still, I love not having to use iTunes -- being able to keep all my music and video in MC is the way I like it. I don't mind keeping my music as M4a files, since they work in MC and on the ipod and you can burn 'em and use 'em on other computers. But the M4p's can be a pain, even if you're being completely legal about the whole thing.

(Note: MC doesn't actually change the m4p and m4a tags into the file itself -- it just remembers the tags you choose in the MC library database of the PC you're using. According to Alex B on an older M4p post on Interact: "MC can analyze only internally supported and decoded file formats. MC uses the external QuickTime codec for decoding AAC audio files like Apple's DRM protected .m4p files. Also, changing the physical file tags is not possible with MC." For me, this fact is the only reason I'm considering converting my m4a files to mp3; so tags will be kept even if I change computers, load files onto an ipod, etc.)

To be honest, none of this bothers me too much since I just refuse to buy tracks from the overcharging, over-protecting iTunes unless it's the only way I can get 'em. I prefer using services like eMusic, the music services that MC has a deals with, buying CDs, and many many other methods (preferably legal or semi-legal, as I don't like the idea of artists not getting paid and I really don't like the idea of being arrested). I've listed a ton of alternative MP3-gettin' methods and services here:  Cheap Music for the Masses

(Note that unless you are the owner of an M4p file then you will not be able to use any of the methods described above for "unlocking" or even playing the file; only owners of the file will be able to do any of this, since M4p is protected. Legally, unlocking an M4p file is completely illegal, much more illegal than unlocking an M4p that you do own since you can't even present the argument/defense that you you have a right to unlock a file you own. Also, technically, unlocking an M4p is requires major hack-skillz and is really more trouble than its worth -- especially considering it's illegal and all.)

--------------------

My one big iPod-related hope for MC is that one day MC will be able to automatically convert video to the correct specs for play on the iPod video. Right now I'm using the free Videora iPod Converter to convert videos for my iPod, but the settings available on this little wonder are kinda overwhelming and I really prefer to just have the whole process integrated into a more simple interface in MC. But who knows what the future holds.... maybe someone will build a MC/Videora plug-in interface, if they haven't already. That would be hot....
Pages: [1]   Go Up