INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPnP transcode problem with MCW770  (Read 1681 times)

rogerkaplan

UPnP transcode problem with MCW770
« on: December 30, 2005, 11:00:58 pm »

I'm the proud owner of a Philips MCW770. This is not a "Streamium" device; it's billed as a pure UPnP device (I'm not sure of the difference). It only plays MP3 natively.

Most of my music is encoded either in Ogg Vorbis or WMA@192K. I'm trying to use MC's uPnP server to dynamically transcode.

Albums encoded in mp3 play fine.

When I play an album encoded with Ogg, each track is truncated about 3/4 the way through, and the next track starts playing.

When I play an album encoded with WMA, each track is repeated twice. Furthermore, the time elapsed on the unit is continuous, so the counter on a 2 minute song will run up to 4:00 as it's played twice.

I just upgraded to the new release candidate 11.1.90 but it's still happening.
UPnP options set are:
Convert audio if necessary
Encoder: MP3 encoder
Automatic Detection
Include SessionID checked
Allow Visual Content checked
Filter Intl Chars checked
Skip Child Count checked

Other than that, great piece of software!

Any suggestions?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: UPnP transcode problem with MCW770
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 01:53:02 am »

Strange. Sounds like the device may be reading info from the tags, and something might be messed up there.

One clue would help: watch the network activity (lights on the switch or wireless hub) while you play a WMA track. Is there activity during the second playback? Or is it only during the first?

j

rogerkaplan

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 09:35:52 am »

Just did some more diagnostics. Yes the WLAN light on the AP flickers the whole time. But I found another clue..

I focused on an album which is encoded in MP3. With the uPnP option "Convert Audio if Necessary", the song plays fine. When I change the option to "Always Convert Audio", the songs double-play.

On the options screen, Encoder=MP3. On the advanced screen, Quality(VBR) is selected, with Target Quality=High and Use Fast Mode checked (note: I'm running on a 700mhz PC running XP Home so I need all the help I can get)

Can you suggest a software-based uPnP renderer that I can double-check the results, to help determine if the Philips device is at fault?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 03:30:49 pm »

I just checked this, I can't reproduce the MP3 playing twice. Intel makes a UPnP SDK you can use to see what's going on.

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 03:36:13 pm »

Oggs play fine for me as well, so it's not an encoder problem. It could be something else, like the way it is asking for music (some ask for the entire stream, some ask for chunks...).

j

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 04:43:59 pm »

He said WMA, rather than MP3 though...

The MC UPnP server doesn't seem to handle seeking in the track.

For instance, if I'm playing a track and I use the fast-forward or rewind buttons, the track starts from the beginning again, although the time counter does carry on, so I could imagine that if it got to the end of the track but thought it should be longer it might cause the server to resend it again from the start.

Of course, I'm guessing - I don't have an MCW770 myself. I do have some streamium products.

The difference between the streamium product range and the MCW770 is that the streamiums can access (non-UPnP) internet-based content through Philips. The MCW770 is intended only to access your own media through UPnP.

Pages: [1]   Go Up