INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion: Store more details in Library DB  (Read 886 times)

eNVy

• nothing more to say...
Suggestion: Store more details in Library DB
« on: January 06, 2006, 05:10:27 pm »

I have 2 very large librarys that I am using with MC. One for music, one for audiobooks. Being that the files associated with both libraries take up a large amount of storage space (over 80gb each) I have all the files for each library stored on separate drives. In addition, my preferences for encoding are completely different, using a much higher bitrate for music.

I have found it incredibly annoying that every time I switch librarys, and attempt to rip a cd or "rename file from properties" that MC always defaults to the last used path rather than the last used path for the active library. Also, I am constantly having to change the encoding types back and forth.

For example: If I have my Audiobook library open and rip a cd without checking my settings (not realizing that the last rip was for the music library), the files are generated on the wrong drive and the encoding is too high.

It would be really great, if the library databse could store all information for the library including default paths and encoding types for frequently used activities.

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Suggestion: Store more details in Library DB
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 06:23:03 pm »

1.  Welcome to the forum and, if you're new to MC, welcome again.

2.  The issue that you bring up has been discussed one or two times that I know of, mostly in the context of trying to preserve settings when reinstalling the software.  Unless you save the registry settings, they go away.

3.  Your own experience with 2 library modes is another important example of why jriver ought to think about this, IMO.  I myself, batch converting my WAV library to lossless FLAC, inadvertently converted a few  albums to 128 kbps WMA after a reinstall.  So I agree it's agravating.

4.  IMO again, MC is the most powerful media organizer on the planet, and indispensible when dealing with large libraries like yours.  BTW, there are many users here whose huge libraries may provoke envy (sorry).  My lossless library is close to half a terabyte, but that's tiny compared to some of the folks who post here.  100,00-track libraries are not unheard of, and there is at least one maniac that I know of who has over 300,000 tracks.  Even if most of it is just bird calls or kazoo bands, that's still a lot of tracks.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 07:07:40 pm »

The libraries can be big "horizontally" too.

I have currently 43,567 files in my main library. That could be called the vertical direction.

My standard details view has 54 fields visible in the horizontal direction. (Actually, MC has about 40 other fields available that I don't normally keep visible.)

43,567 x 54 makes 2,352,618 cells in total.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 01:46:06 am »

I have found it incredibly annoying that every time I switch librarys, and attempt to rip a cd or "rename file from properties" that MC always defaults to the last used path rather than the last used path for the active library. Also, I am constantly having to change the encoding types back and forth.
I can identify with this in one instance (maybe 2) when i save playlists to mpl for a cue album.Instead of going to the previous path i would rather it went to the directory that the tracks are from.

The other instance is when i want to add album art to an album. If i select files they are usually in one directory, why not open that directory instead of the previous one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up