INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC says m4p files not compatible?  (Read 1544 times)

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
MC says m4p files not compatible?
« on: January 29, 2006, 01:17:14 pm »

I was trying to sync to my iPod photo.

First, it came up with this message saying that I needed to install DirectShow filters (whatever those are) for every iTunes file it was trying to sync. I saw a message that said that might be related to conversion, so I turned off Conversion during the sync.

Question -- I want to be able to convert files that *need* to be converted (in my case, wma files to mp3), but NOT files that do not need to be converted. Is this possible?

Then, after turning off conversion it suddenly told me that 1700 files or so could not sync because they were not compatible. The ones listed were all m4p files from iTMS. I used to be able to sync these. What is happening now? Why will it not syn iTunes files? How do I get this to work?

My iPod photo has the latest software and was just restored. After restoration, I opened it in iTunes, copied over 1 song, closed iTunes, opened MC, Initialized the iPod. Then I tried the sync.

Media Center Registered 11.1.106 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 1234 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2088 MB, Free - 689 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: SONY    DVD+-RW DW-Q58A   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: SONY     DVD+-RW DW-Q58A    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

thx

- Tracy

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MC says m4p files not compatible?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 02:03:07 pm »

So you cannot sync protected m4p files even if you don't try to convert?

I suppose when "convert if needed" is enabled the converter tries to convert all files that don't match with the target format. In my opinion it should check (e.g. from an internal list) what formats the device supports instead. Also, it should let the user select the supported formats if a folder is defined as a handheld.

For now, I think you just have to sync aac (mp4, m4a, m4p) and wma files separately, but that doesn't solve your m4p problem.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 04:37:46 pm »

Yea, that's right. And very odd. This has worked for me with this iPod for years. . .

I thought maybe opening iTunes caused a problem, so I followed some advice zsix gave in another thread. I closed MC, deleted my iTunes DB file, restarted MC and reinitialized the iPod. Then I closed MC, undocked and redocked the iPod, reopened MC and tried the sync. But I got the same result. Now that I turned off the Conversion, it just comes up and tells me that all my iTMS files (music, not video) are not compatible and do I want to skip them. I said yes and the rest of the sync worked fine. But I'm basically missing all the music I've bought in the last year since I stopped buying CDs  :'(

Hmmph. Frustrating.

PollyQ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 01:10:35 am »

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 10:16:24 am »

It's alphabet soup.  Look for an m4p fix next build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up