INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to group solo artists to their main band?  (Read 1755 times)

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!
Is there a way to group solo artists to their main band?
« on: January 17, 2006, 08:35:59 am »

lets say i have albums by the who and various solo albums from the members of the who such as roger daltrey and pete townshend, is there some grouping method, smartlist, tag or whatever i can do to get all these albums to show up under the who and yet have them maintain their correct artist as well?

Any info on how to do this would be greatly appreciated

TC

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
Re: Is there a way to group solo artists to their main band?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 08:56:51 am »

That's the perfect example of "Album Artist".
You can set "Album Artist" for those albums to "The Who" and in any view scheme that uses the "Album Artist (Auto)" field they will show up grouped with the ones that are played by "The Who", whilst keeping the "Artist" field set to the correct performer.

Please review again this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31127.msg214055#msg214055

Hope it  helps.

jgreen

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 09:46:49 am »

Or, you could fill the field "People".  Semi-colon delimited, I use it to place Eric Clapton with Cream, etc, etc. 

I haven't quite figured out "Album Artist."  In my day, that was the guy who designed the cover for the LP.  Later on, some of those guys leveraged their relationships with the bands to start directing Rock Videos, and one or two of those guys now direct $100 million movies.  Go from running Photoshop in your spare time to directing $100 million movies?  Now that's what I call an artist.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 11:40:30 am »

Thanks Deivit, works great, simply selected all my who related discs, and filled in the album artist tag as "who related discs", had to change thumbnail text from album artist auto to just artist, but it all works great.

After that i then went and selected all my various artist discs and tagged the album artist field as "various artist discs" and now with just one click in my album artist pane on top i get all my various artists discs in my entire collection.

With this and the fact that i found out yesterday that one can have multiple lines of text under an album thumbnail, my media center and it's 1,000 discs it is keeping track of, is rocking.

TC  :) :)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 12:42:59 pm »

lets say i have albums by the who and various solo albums from the members of the who such as roger daltrey and pete townshend, is there some grouping method, smartlist, tag or whatever i can do to get all these albums to show up under the who and yet have them maintain their correct artist as well?
I don't think there is an obvious way of doing this without resorting to custom tags.

Album Artist is usually used for the artist(s) that made the album. So if The Who made an album then AA is The Who. Now if their members make stuff on their own, then AA is whoever made the album ie Roger Daltrey or Pete Townshend not The Who.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 01:06:14 pm »

Should have used another example band, it's becoming like who's on first, what's on second, why's he on third Bud Abbott and Lou Costello routine, lol.

Well, ya as far as i know the custom tags have to be added, it's not a hardship or anything, just another way or method to organize and group the collection.

After reading Hit's comment i really don't have a clue as to what he said, it's all working fine for me, thanks for all the help guys.

TC  :)

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 01:33:36 pm »

here is a pic of what i got going now:

http://home.xnet.com/~tclark/mc11pics/albumartist.jpg

notice the who grouping label in the upper right column and yet individual artists still in the artist column, works as advertised, thanks guys.

TC
Pages: [1]   Go Up