INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pass-protect Libaries?  (Read 1215 times)

SW_NA6CE

• Recent member
Pass-protect Libaries?
« on: January 09, 2006, 06:56:47 am »

Hello, I'm a relatively new user of Media Center and I'd like to know if there's a way that I can password-protect my libraries to keep some of them private. I don't want to be in party mode all the time, I just want to be able to access files on my computer that are not open to the public . . . and keep them that way.

Any ideas?

I searched help for this and the forums and didn't find anything. I was hoping to find a way to make it so that it would prompt me for a password when I switched libraries, but no dice.

Thanks guys.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Pass-protect Libaries?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 12:55:20 pm »

Access Control can use a password to make some files invisible to other users.  Perhaps that could work for you.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

SW_NA6CE

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 10:03:17 pm »

yeah i tried playing with access control and it seemed to only work with party mode. If I'm in party mode, there are a lot of things I'm restricted from doing. I want to just find a way to protect certain libraries.

Any ideas?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 10:31:58 pm »

You cannot do that inside MC, but you can use Windows user accounts.

The library list is located in this Windows registry branch:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 11\Properties\Libraries,
so each user can have a different list.

You can even store the actual library and media files in private folders if needed.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

SW_NA6CE

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 10:23:21 am »

OK, I think I found a way to use Access control to do what I wanted. I started another library with JUST content that I wanted to restrict, and changed the genre. Then I enabled access control and excluded that genre from being viewed. I still have a library that seems "empty" but when you disable the access control (using your password) you can see the files.

Thanks for your thoughts guys!
Pages: [1]   Go Up