INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shuffle Support  (Read 3741 times)

razumik

• World Citizen
Shuffle Support
« on: October 15, 2005, 07:53:14 pm »

Thank you so much for adding Shuffle support.  During initial testing, files transferred and played fine.  Two things that I have noticed are:

1. Eject IPOD option does not work for me.  If I select eject the Shuffle does not disappear from the tray.  If I then close MC and try to eject it using Windows, I receive an error stating that the device cannot be stopped because it is in use.  However, if I close MC without ejecting the device, I am able to eject it using Windows without receiving the "in use" error.

2. I am not sure if they are supposed to, but my playcounts do not seem to be updating when I sync with the Shuffle.  When I view the Shuffle in the MC Tree, I do not even see a field for the playcount like I do when I view my regular IPOD.

Again, Thanks for adding support...

Dan

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Shuffle Support
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 10:59:55 pm »

Thanks for letting us know.  Look for this area to continually improve in the coming weeks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 01:03:23 pm »

Dan,

In regards to the playcount field, add that field for viewing in the iPod Shuffle view and see if the values are correct.

Thanks,
Steve

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 04:10:31 pm »

Steve,

If I add a "Number Plays" field to the display it does not show any values what-so-ever.  I have tried playing files with iTunes on the Shuffle, and then viewing the Shuffle in MC, but the values do not appear. 

However, if I play the files using MC (while the Shuffle is plugged in) the "number plays" field does update.  If I then do a sync, the information is transferred back to the library.  So maybe the problem is not with the sync, but rather how MC is registering the value from the "Play Count" field on the Shuffle.  Is there anyway that I can check that value?

Let me know if there is anything else that you would like for me to look at.

Dan

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 10:08:46 am »

Dan,

It appears that the Shuffle is not writing the play count information to the file that other iPods do. I will have to hunt around to find where this data is written on the Shuffle in order to retrieve it.

Steve

pank2002

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 11:14:33 am »

It should be here. Now, how to get something meaningful out of it that must be your job :)

Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 05:15:30 pm »

I saw some discussion about smartlists in that file.  Any chance that it can be used to implement smartlists on the iPod from within MC?
pretend this is something funny

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 09:17:17 am »

The smartlist issue is a matter of deciding to force our smartlist system into theirs. We may do this, but the top priority right now is adding full support for the iPod photo.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 11:07:08 am »

Thanks for the reply Steve.  I agree that photo support should come first, and then hopefully video ;), but I would like to see smartlists someday, if you think it's possible.  It was more of a general feature request than something I want immediately.

Keep up the good work!!!

pank2002

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 12:01:31 pm »

True smartlist would be great. One fine day... :)
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 08:46:00 am »

Steve,

Just wanted to let you guys know that the Shuffle is still not updating play counts using the latest version of MC.  I wasn't sure if you assumed that it was working or if it had been put aside until all of the other IPOD issues were ironed out. 

Dan

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 06:28:06 pm »

I almost hate to bring this up after all of the updates you guys have made for the IPOD lately....but, playcounts still do not seem to be updating when using the Shuffle and version 11.1.70.  Everything else appears to be working fine with it.

Thanks for all of the other improvements that you guys have made.

dan

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 10:29:53 am »

dan,

Thanks for the reminder. The shuffle uses a different method of reporting the play count data from other iPods. This feature will be added shortly.

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 04:44:56 pm »

This should now work in the next build.

Steve

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 10:31:10 am »

Steve,

Thanks for making the change, the playcounts are now updating correctly.  Being the ungrateful person that I am, I was wondering if you could make small change.  I realize that there is no "last played" field in the Shuffle database, but would it be possible to update the "last played" field in MC with the date and time of the sync? 

Again, thanks for all of your recent help with the Shuffle and 5G.  iTunes has been rendered useless and was removed from my last PC this morning.

Dan

SteveG

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 11:31:06 am »

Dan,

You ungrateful @#$$ !   ;)

What you suggest could logically be expressed as the following (I think)..

If 'sync data to PC' is enabled and the portable device is an iPod Shuffle and the playcount on the file is greater than 0 ( meaning the file has been played on the iPod since the last sync) then update the last played time for the file in MC to either the time of the previous sync or to the current time (as we are about to sync).

This could be done, but I don't like it because it is pretty much of a work around for a limitation on the iPod and what it delivers is a pretty rough approximation of what it is supposed to do. I presume you want this to help keep your smartlists straight in MC and that is a totally valid concern. 

Anyone else out there feel strongly about this one way or another?

Considering the options, I lean towards leaving it alone.

Steve

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 12:38:54 pm »

Steve,

You are correct.  The reason that I would like the last played field updated is for smartlists,view shemes, etc.

If the logic that you described were to be implemented I would prefer that it uses the date/time of the current sync.  And though it is a workaround, I find the I use the Shuffle differently than I use my regular IPOD and generally sync more often, so the time of sync is not far off from the actual time when the song was played.

Of course, that is just how I use the Shuffle...and I am pretty much a freak when it comes to playcounts and such, so I totally understand if no one else cares :-)

Thanks for considering

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 11:21:48 pm »

Hi Steve,
I don't feel strongly about it, but it would be nice. My wife listens to music on her shuffle, never the pc, and syncs every day or two. Even a two day window of when she heard something would help her find it later. Current time would be less confusing than last sync time.

If 'sync data to PC' is enabled
and device is an iPod Shuffle
and playcount on the file is greater than 0
then update the last played time for the file in MC to the current time

It's not a high priority for me, though.

Thanks,
  bg

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 11:26:56 pm »

Hi Steve,
I don't feel strongly about it, but it would be nice. My wife listens to music on her shuffle, never the pc, and syncs every day or two. Even a two day window of when she heard something would help her find it later. Current time would be less confusing than last sync time.

If 'sync data to PC' is enabled
and device is an iPod Shuffle
and playcount on the file is greater than 0
then update the last played time for the file in MC to the current time

It's not a high priority for me, though.

Thanks,
  bg

Agreed on all counts.

jweisler

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2006, 07:00:03 am »

Can somebody tell me more about Shuffle support?  I have MC 9.1 -- is it supported, or only MC 11?  Do I need a special plug-in?

Been using 9.1 for 2 years or so with my iPod and my Tivo, but my wife just got a Shuffle.  I'm trying to avoid having to install iTunes.....

Thanks,

jweisler

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 02:03:53 pm »

jweisler,

Shuffle support works fine for me in 11.1.  There is no Autofill feature like iTunes but this can be handled with smartlists.  Also, when you sync in iTunes it will update both the play count and the last played time (albeit with the sync time and not the actual play time).  The last time that I payed attention to a sync with MC, it only updates the play count and not the "Last Played" field.  Not that big of a deal.

Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up