INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Netgear MP101 & CUE playback  (Read 1862 times)

Foz

• Recent member
Netgear MP101 & CUE playback
« on: January 20, 2006, 06:20:55 pm »

First I must say Media Center is a wonderful piece of software which if this issue I have is solved I will purchase.

I have been testing Media Center over the last couple of days and I have found an issue with CUE sheet playback on my Netgear MP101 from the UPnP server.  If I have a CUE sheet and file (I have two, one an APE and the other a WAV) in my library the MP101 sees these correctly but when I choose any track on the album  it plays from the begining of the CD, not the track.

As a possible joined issue, when I ripped these CDs I got an Tagging Error at the end of the rip.  This only happened when I ripped to a complete image and CUE, not when I ripped to individual MP3s.

I tried both v11 and the latest beta from the ftp, both had the same problems.

TIA
Steve.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Netgear MP101 & CUE playback
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 07:07:44 pm »

Interesting that it plays the source file instead. The Library server cannot play cue tracks at all. Cue support is a relatively new thing in MC and has still some issues. Only local playback works properly.

Tagging cue tracks produces a false alarm because no physical track files are available. The information is kept only in the media library. When I tag cue tracks I usually disable tag writing in the program options. (Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes)

You may want to search for the previous cue threads (during the last two years) for getting some background information. MC11.1 is almost ready and I suppose this is not going to change in MC11.1, but I hope the cue issues can be addressed in the next version.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Foz

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 04:02:50 am »

Thanks for that, I don't seem to be able to find the right combination of autoripper and UPnP server.
Media Center would be perfect for this one feature.  But then that's probably what everyone says about their own pet project  ;)

Foz

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 05:41:59 am »

interesting though... the UPnP server doesn't allow searching within a file, so it could actually be doing everything right apart from that.

So, for instance, if you pause the track or try to skip through it, it will start at the beginning again, which is obviously pretty similar to what you're experiencing...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 08:41:18 am »

I read the Netgear MP101 specs. It can play MP3, uncompressed wave and WMA standard (but not WMA lossless, which is technically a different file format). So transcoding is always needed if the source file is in APE format. Wave is not very practical otherwise (size & tagging).

Could you just split the disc image files to separate track files for day-to-day use? You could keep the original disc image files only in your backup archive. Then you could use a format of your choice, e.g. lossless APE or a high quality lossy format like MP3 VBR High (AKA --preset extreme).

Personally I rip in APE disc image & cue format, make APL files (Monkey's Audio Link), tag the APL files properly (they can hold complete tag info), but after that I usually convert the files to separate track files and keep the lossless disc images only in my backup archive.

MC can convert separate track files including the tags from APL files and e.g. this program can convert separate tracks directly from a cue file.

Here is an example of my typical backup archive:

Click to enlarge.

From this album I have lossy MP3 & JPG files in my MC library, but if needed I can easily access the lossless APE & PNG archive (I use the lossless PNG format for my scanned cover art images).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Foz

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 09:10:56 am »

Yes I've thought about seperate files for backup and playing but the exercise is to try and make my life easier.

Eventually I want a headless box I can just drop a CD into and after it ejects 20 mins later or so the tracks are avaliable on the network.  Yes I can do that with seperate files, but the CUE/APE feature is just begging to be used properly, then I don't double up files.

In the meanwhile I'll use Media Center to autorip MP3s and I'll manually rip the CUE/APE for later.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 06:53:19 am »

Have you tried APL files for playing APE+CUE disc images? I have noticed that they can be used with the Library Server when MP3 conversion is enabled. There are good chances that they would work with UPnP too.

You can create APLs with MakeAPL program (included in the Monkeys' Audio package) or with this program (...once again).
Pages: [1]   Go Up