INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to do a simple sync ?  (Read 3132 times)

Araj

• World Citizen
How to do a simple sync ?
« on: January 13, 2006, 03:20:18 pm »

Testing 11.0.316

I give up. I'm trying to sync with an iRiver MP3 player (no plugin as it shows as a removable drive). All my music files are in sub-directories (with the artist name) of the directory "Music" on both my PC and on the iRiver.

All I want to do is to automatically transfer new files in my library (which is all in the /Music dir) to the same dir on the player. The only way I found to get it to work so far is to make a new playlist containing my whole library and then sync selecting that.

I just want to auto-sync the two dirs on my PC and the player, without any playlists.

Can anyone tell me how to do that from Media Center?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to do a simple sync ?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 04:06:25 pm »

First of all, try updating to MC 11.1.  It's on the MC board here, near the top.  Handheld support is better.

Try a drag and drop of a couple files before you set it to sync.

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 06:49:46 am »

Hi Jim

I tried out 11.1.091 for a few days but had big problems. Over time, MC seemed to spread itself out until nothing ran any more - including other apps. I couldn't even shut down MC from Windows Task Manager or restart my PC from within Windows - I had to hit the reset button every time. This happened regularly over several days and restarts. A shame because otherwise, I liked it a lot.

However, the problem I have with 11.0.316 is not that the transfer doesn't work - just that I have to add anything I want transferred to a playlist. Is this different in 11.1.091? Apart from that, wouldn't it be good if the sync process checked for newer versions of the same file - for example if the tags have been updated?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 08:06:05 am »

What other software was running at the same time?  Any third party plug-ins?  I'm pretty sure there aren't any memory leaks in MC11.1 right now or the board would be very noisy.

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 08:47:13 am »

No plugins. Otherwise: combinations of Eudora, Total Commander, Norton AV/Firewall, Acoustica Label Maker, Firefox, iRivium Manager (for the iRiver) - and the usual mess of hardware drivers and processes.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 09:20:15 am »

Any visualizations or other third party software that runs with MC? 

These days, almost every application you install also installs something that runs in the background.  It can be pretty hard to find where the problem is.

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 09:35:58 am »

Nope - no visualisations or whatever. The crashes all happened when I was working in MC doing standard stuff like changing tags, linking cover art etc - or trying to transfer to my handheld. Always the same pattern - at first everything would work fine, then slowly over a period up to a couple of hours everything would get slower and slower until it hung. Sometimes I could still use some of the other apps running, though they were slow.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 09:36:38 am »

Try uninstalling the iriver software.

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 11:11:19 am »

Erm, before I spend hours messing about again, could you confirm that with 11.1.091 I can transfer to the iRiver in the way I was trying to and that updated files will be recognised? Otherwise, I'm rather wasting my time, aren't I? I still have the option to do a manual transfer....

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 11:19:21 am »

Use the latest build of 11.1.  It's on the MC board here.

There are a lot of iRiver players.  And a lot of different versions of their drivers.  You'll have to try it to know.

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 01:24:09 pm »

Sorry Jim, I'm getting more confused. Transfers do work to the iRiver - so long as they're on an MC playlist and I specify that playlist in the transfer. What I want to know is, can MC do a straight dir to dir sync, transferring new and updated files, automatically without the files needing to be on a playlist? To any handheld shown as a removable drive I mean, not specifically just to an iRiver.

BTW, MC playlists don't work in the iRiver anyway, so I can't really de-install the iRiver software if I want playlists

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 04:12:50 pm »

You create a smartlist in MC that would include ALL of your songs in that folder.  Set that playlist as the one to sync to the handheld.

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 03:26:12 am »

Thanks ZX6 - that seems to do the trick

Alex: found the problem with the transfers: it's the iRiver, probably the USB port, that's creating all the problems. If I connect and run the iRiver before booting up, everything works no probs, but if I connect the iRiver while XP is running everything locks up either eventually or immediately. Apparently just an unfortunate coincidence that this started happening just after I installed MC.

So, iRiver back to the shop, and hopefully...

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up