INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing Music on Another Computer  (Read 1461 times)

johnnyboy

• Citizen of the Universe
Playing Music on Another Computer
« on: January 14, 2006, 11:14:40 am »

Hiya,
I have MC running on one computer,
I want to listen to some albums on my laptop downstairs which is connected via wireless to the machine upstairs.
Is there any way I can get a web interface on MC so that I can browse and play my albums (locally not on the remote computer)?

Any suggestions welcomed,

Thanks

djp

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Playing Music on Another Computer
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 11:44:26 am »

Your situation is exactly why Media Center has a Library Server feature. On the main machine, open the "Services & Plugins" entry on tree, and open Library Server plugin, and press the Start Server button (MC will automatically start the Library Server whenever you start MC after this).

Now, install MC on your laptop. You'll be running on your 30-day trial initially. If it's been more than two weeks since you installed the license on your main machine, you'll need to use one of your 10 restores/year to license the laptop.

From the laptop, select Files->Library->Search for Media Servers. Your main server should appear. Select it, and it's just like having MC from your main machine appear on your laptop!

johnnyboy

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 12:28:49 pm »

Sorry,
I'm just after a web interface.
I want to be able to do it from this laptop, but also additionally I'd like to be able to do the same thing from work and just stream any of my music to me at work.

Any ideas?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 12:55:02 pm »

Sorry,
I'm just after a web interface.
I want to be able to do it from this laptop, but also additionally I'd like to be able to do the same thing from work and just stream any of my music to me at work.

Any ideas?

Not sure of your benefit for going this way?  What type of interface are you looking for?

Does the audio have to output to the laptop and not a stereo?

There are of course Media streamers available which MC can as work the back end database.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

johnnyboy

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 06:41:35 pm »

Benefit of this is that I can then access the computer with all the music on it from any machine I happen to be on without having to install or configure any software to do so.

Just load up a web browser, go to the page, and I'm off.
Ultimate flexibility.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 08:28:52 pm »

Benefit of this is that I can then access the computer with all the music on it from any machine I happen to be on without having to install or configure any software to do so.

Just load up a web browser, go to the page, and I'm off.
Ultimate flexibility.

I think this is what you want then since MC can't currnetly do this and not sure if it ever could outside of a local network: www.mp3tunes.com.

If you simply want to access files within your local network either use the Library server which means you would need to install MC but not have to load up files or images or go with a dedicated media streamer. 

There is not a direct solution for you, however based on the the specific benefits that you are looking for (still not sure) beyond the web based 'feature', these other solutions may get you what you want.

I guess another way to put it is, why are you trying to avoid installing MC on the laptop?  Is it too slow?

I on the other hand am looking to do just the opposite.  I would like MC to stream my music on my laptop to my stereo.  Can't be done currently but hope it will someday.  The benefit is that I don't need another machine and I can take my laptop anywhere and stream to whatever device accepts MC. ;D
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

johnnyboy

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 04:10:24 pm »

What you want done can be done in one of two ways.

1. Attach a radio transmitter to your computer - get it to broadcast to a radio frequency and then just tune your stereo into that radio frequency.
They sell these for iPods and you can probably buy much more powerful ones and cheaper from an electronic store.

2. Just plug some cables into your headphones socket of your laptop and put the other side into the Aux on your stero.

Either would work fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up