INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Synching pictures to Handheld.  (Read 1465 times)

Michel Lefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
Synching pictures to Handheld.
« on: January 16, 2006, 03:13:58 pm »

Today I tried for the first time to synch pictures to my Treo 650  PalmOS device. Not connecting the Treo directly, instead I'm just synching to the SD Card in a card reader. Everything worked well except one thing:

When I setup the synching, I configured the image forlder on the handheld to be "DCIM". I then set up a playlist with the pictures I wanted to transfer. The transfer was perfect except that MC also transfered the whole directory structure. IE: In MC, all my pictures are stores as follows:

D:\Pictures\2005\[event]\[track #] - [Event] - [people].jpg
(the file structure is actually much longer, but you get the idea...)

Once transferred, all the pictures were copied to the SD Card in the following way:

\DCIM\2005\[event]\[track #] - [Event] - [people].jpg

That's fine, but the photo spftware in the Treo will only read pictures that are in the DCIM directory. Folders below are ignored.

I've searched for a way to configure the transfer to ignore the directory structure but I can't find anything...

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Michel.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Synching pictures to Handheld.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 04:08:38 pm »

Check Options > Handheld > Files & Paths

If you specify a folder like Images\ for image upload, it shouldn't create any extra sub-directories.  (you can specify Images\[Events]\ etc. to create directories)

This is with MC 11.1.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Michel Lefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 12:28:04 pm »

Thanks Matt,

I'll try it again tonight.

M.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 04:12:47 pm »

Synching pictures to external devices for backups or to a notebook is still a big, unresolved problem as the duplicate files isssue is not solved yet.

I have many images that have no distinguished tags but the filename. A whole series of images just get the same name. The only difference is the file name, example:

Name tag: J River Christmas party 2005
file name:  JR2005001.jpg

Name tag: J River Christmas party 2005
file name:  JR2005002.jpg

Those two files are not synched properly, only one is synched as it says that the second image is a duplicate file of the first one, although they are 2 totally different images.

Therefore this synching mechanism cannot be used, although speed and bug have been cleaned out since I tried last time a few month ago.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 04:36:09 pm »

Jaguu, have you tried it recently?  It also now uses the filesize, which should eliminate duplicates.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 04:53:38 pm »

OK Matt,

thought I had already installed 11.1.99, but it was only 11.1.97, will install 11.1.101 tomorrow and check again. Too tired today and it's almost midnight here.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 08:41:00 am »

Hi Matt,

much better, but still not perfect!

Synched 6285 image files of the following artists:

1145 images of Vincent Van Gogh: 0 duplicates (197 dups with version 11.1.97)
1247 images of Claude Monet: 1 duplicate (not tested before)
1280 images of August Renoir: 1 duplicate (not tested before)
587 images of Paul Cézanne: 2 duplicates (not tested before)
257 images of Pablo Picasso: 0 dups (not tested before)
157 images of Henri Matisse: 0 dups (not tested before)
367 images of Alfred Sisley: 0 dups (not tested before)
627 images of Edgar Degas: 0 dups (not tested before)
344 images of Berthe Morisot: 0 dups (not tested before)
274 images of Eduard Manet: 0 dups (not tested before)

I used the Drag and Drop option synching to another hard disk.

Some Notes:
1) The duplicate message does not say which file is a duplicate of which one, so I do not know the two dups. It would better say: file x is a duplicate of file y!
2) It is not clear what happenes to the duplicate file if I click yes and go on! Is it excluded? A log would be of great help!
3) In Handheld>Advanced Options I can specifiy folder structure for different media types. As folder structure in my image folder is very complex, I would prefer an option that simply says: Recreate folder structure same as original structure. This option existed some time in the past and was very handy, so that I did not have to think about how I wanted data organised on the backup device.
4) What are the paths data and database for in Advanced options? documents and MC library?
5) What does Sync Mode All (files and playlist) mean? The whole MC library (audio, images, video)? Anybody wants to do that?
6) Another nice option would be duplicate settings, so that another MC on another system could be configured just the same way!

Later on I will try to sync to my notebook to check the speed issue over the network!

Michel Lefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 09:47:59 am »

Check Options > Handheld > Files & Paths

If you specify a folder like Images\ for image upload, it shouldn't create any extra sub-directories.  (you can specify Images\[Events]\ etc. to create directories)

This is with MC 11.1.

I tried it again last night. The only change I did was replace "DCIM\" by "DCIM" and it worked fine.

I didn't have time to try it again with the "\" to prove whether that was the issue or if the problem was a user error... I'll check more tonight.

M.
Pages: [1]   Go Up