INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Utilize AC3Filter?  (Read 1972 times)

Starchild

Utilize AC3Filter?
« on: January 17, 2006, 09:28:06 am »

Is there anyway to make Media Center 11 utilize AC3Filter for audio output (and it's ONLINE config utility).

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Utilize AC3Filter?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 07:30:46 pm »

I use AC3Filter with MC no probs. You don't/can't configure it from MC tho. Set it up the way you want, restart MC and that's it.

Ray.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Starchild

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 02:00:19 pm »

I use AC3Filter with MC no probs. You don't/can't configure it from MC tho. Set it up the way you want, restart MC and that's it.

Ray.

This is what I am doing now.

My computer is connected to my Logitech Z-5500 speakers via S/PDIF (digital). The audio quality from programs that fully utilize the AC3Filter, like Media Player Classic, is amazing. I know when a program is fully utililzing AC3Filter because my Z-5500 receiver reads DD Digital. If a program is just using the AC3Filter passthrough, my receiver can switch between Stereo, Stereo x2, DD PLII Music, or DD PLII Movie.

The audio quality via ASIO is comparable, but in my opinion, audio quality via AC3Filter is better.

Will future releases support other output filters, like AC3Filter?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 03:25:46 pm »

You may be able to do the same with MC, but that depends on what you are doing.

Could you explain:
- the exact source file format
- MPC settings and version
- AC3 settings and version (0.7 or 1.0 ?)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Starchild

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 07:42:55 pm »

You may be able to do the same with MC, but that depends on what you are doing.

Could you explain:
- the exact source file format
- MPC settings and version
- AC3 settings and version (0.7 or 1.0 ?)

I'm playing MP3s.
FYI: MC utilizes the AC3Filter when I play movies (i.e. DVD or Xvid) and I see DD Digital on my receiver. The only programs I have encountered to use AC3Filter for MP3s are Media Player Classic and VLC.

I have MC 11.1 installed and it is currently configured to use ASIO via ASIO4ALL v2, which yeilds superior audio quality to WaveOut and DirectSound (but not better than AC3Filter ;)).

I have AC3Filter 1.01a installed and it is outputting 3/2+SW 5.1 Channels and SPDIF is checked. Under System > Use AC3 Filter for ... and SPDIF passthrough, everything is checked. AC3Filter is prefered and it is using DirectSound as the default audio renderer.

Anything else?

Thanks for helping.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 08:38:03 pm »

I think you may need to switch to DirectSound in MC11, that way it will use the default Windows DirectX filter chain, which will include AC3Filter. Google for "directx filters merit", that will give you info on how to change the "merit" of the AC3Filter to use it as default.

Also, look up the ffdshow codec, recent versions include an audio decoder that supersedes the AC3Filter. Based on the same code, I think. The ffdshow audio decoder will install itself as the highest priority filter, then you configure it to handle different audio types.
Pages: [1]   Go Up