INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing MC's HTML Engine  (Read 1292 times)

EpF

• Citizen of the Universe
Changing MC's HTML Engine
« on: January 20, 2006, 12:23:03 pm »

I've been messing around with Track Info pages, and finding that the Internet Explorer engine is frustrating my efforts, with its lack of PNG support and CSS bugs - is it possible to specify firefox as the html engine? If not, would it be possible to implement this? God only knows when we're going to see a version of IE that doesn't cause these problems... 
:(

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Changing MC's HTML Engine
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 01:02:00 pm »

I would guess that it would take a pretty serious code re-write to implement this, based on the little I know about the situation.  I wouldn't get my hopes up.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

enervation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 01:11:33 pm »

It's fairly easy to embed gecko (firefox's rendering engine), as far as I know,although it would increase file size by a couple of mb, and if they have used lots of IE specific stuff (activeX or whatever) then all that would have to be rewritten. That said, a change to gecko would be nice!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 01:33:56 pm »

It's fairly easy to embed gecko (firefox's rendering engine), as far as I know,although it would increase file size by a couple of mb, and if they have used lots of IE specific stuff (activeX or whatever) then all that would have to be rewritten. That said, a change to gecko would be nice!

Right.  My point exactly.  They'd have to embed it, it wouldn't be a simple Registry Setting change telling MC to use Gecko (assuming you already have Firefox installed) instead of IE, which is what EpF was hoping for I suspect.

It would almost certainly require that J River re-write part of the application, which doesn't seem likely for a non-mission-critical application.

EpF

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 06:24:37 pm »

it wouldn't be a simple Registry Setting change telling MC to use Gecko (assuming you already have Firefox installed) instead of IE, which is what EpF was hoping for I suspect.

Yes; I was hoping that there was some way that, with minor effort on J River's part, you could tell MC that you have FX installed and to use that instead of IE. I remember sometime last year I discovered that you could do that for FeedDemon by jumping through a couple of pretty minor hoops. (I just did a quick look for the link but couldn't find it). It worked just fine for me.

I wouldn't expect JRiver to replace large amounts of built-in stuff, but I assumed that MC was mainly making use of my already-installed IE browser...

That does make me wonder if it is costing J River much to use IE as part of MC - what does it cost to use FX?; they might save some money. I'm totally out of my depth on this subject, though, so forgive me if I'm not making any sense!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 10:45:13 am »

Assuming they are using Microsoft's Visual Studio to do the development on MC, I don't think you have to pay license fees to use the IE-based controls included with the Microsoft Development Environment.  I could be completely wrong here...

Pages: [1]   Go Up