INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mono playback & tag reading  (Read 5130 times)

mthomasm

Mono playback & tag reading
« on: January 21, 2006, 07:24:47 pm »

Media Center plays my mono-encoded files back only in the left speaker. I realize that this is a natural tendency for mono playback in a stereo environment, but I was wondering if it were possible to make the audio come out both speakers? Also, Media Center doesn't read a lot of my files' tags correctly; both album and song titles are cut off towards their ends (posing a problem for multi-disc sets, where volume numbers are necessary in order to distinguish between the files) and tags on WavPack files aren't read at all. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Mono playback & tag reading
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 09:05:21 pm »

Try going to the DSP studio in the right hand corner of the display then check the output format and select 2 channel stereo.  You may needto restart mc to take effect.

Haven't seen the cutting off of tags though and I have some very long song titles.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 07:35:14 am »

As datdude explained, the DSP Studio > Output Format > 2 channels (stereo) option makes mono files to play through both speakers. You can leave it on permanently.

Where do you see the truncated tags? In the details view you can adjust the column width.

MC has a disc number field for multi-disc albums. You can have only one album name if you like to make the separate discs included in the same album. Otherwise they are handled as separate albums. Basically MC uses the Album Artist (auto) and Album fields for detecting what is an album. It is good to have the album files in a separate single folder, but that is not a requirement.

I have used this system for multi-disc albums: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26024.msg192850#msg192850.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mthomasm

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 09:54:29 pm »

I changed the DSP output settings and it worked. Thanks!
Media Center will truncate the tags indiscriminately someplace in the middle of a file name, often replacing the missing section with two periods like an ellipsis ".."

DanteCaspian

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 12:28:02 pm »

What about playing mono video?  As DSP is not available in video mode, I only here through left channel.
I have several old videos I transfered from VHS that are mono (left channel), while my TV can process the mono signal to L and R, MC does not, can it?

Pages: [1]   Go Up