INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally... DVD-A SW for the PC  (Read 1361 times)

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
Finally... DVD-A SW for the PC
« on: September 24, 2002, 08:47:07 am »

Well its here but... Its from creative...

Given the cost constraints of selling bulk and creatives specs that are usually well er... Creatively put together I dont hold much hope for this....

What it will do though is get the SW DVD player makes playing cathup...

DVD-A will make it my PC... And they all said I was mad and no one would ever be allowed the MLP license for a PC based solution...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
Re: Finally... DVD-A SW for the PC
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2002, 08:48:05 am »

HTPC Front ends  

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2002, 07:40:51 pm »

That is awesome!  The only problem is that it appears that it only comes with the new Audigy 2 card?  What about us current Audigy owners?  Does the card do the decoding, or does the software?  Gotta check it out some more.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2002, 08:08:51 pm »

That freaking card also does Dolby Digital EX 6.1 and is THX certified!  It also records at 24-bits, but on through the optical jack.  ;D
I am in the market for a DVD-Audio player and an SACD player.  The combo players are $1,000, but you can get a 5-disc multichannel SACD/DVD player from Sony for $199, and a Progressive Scan DVD-Audio payer for $200-250.  The only problem with that is that you would need a receiver that has two sets of 5.1 analog inputs.  I saw that Sony does make one, but it's $500.  :(
I would much rather be able to play both formats in my PC, though.  As hardware-intensive as DVD-Audio is, I am sure SACD is even moreso.  I will probably get the Audigy 2 card and sell my Audigy Platinum on eBay.  I've got space on a lower shelf for the Sony SACD/DVD player. :D
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11088863&m=1&cat=32&scat=244

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2002, 09:15:36 pm »

Firstly dont be swayed by the THX spec... THX has been a laughable certification (except in the cinema standard) for consumer gear all along... Plus Creative own a large % of THX hence the certification  ::) ... IIRC THX spec used to be 2 rear speakers for the 6th matrix channel and yet this is a single speaker output... kind of makes a mockery of having a certification but thats just my feeling...

I suspect this will be good news for DVD-A in the market place though (god knows these high rez formats nead to break the chicken and egg of SW / HW adoption and the PC can do that)... Be aware that this card will lock you out of the digital output for DVD-A... You will need to be using that analogue out as the copy protection angle is preventing the ability of bit perfect copying...

After my last creative horror story I will et others adopt this card even though DVD-A has been one of my pet peeves for ages... I will stick to the DVD-V audio tracks on a DVD-A (24/96 rather than 24/192) with my current card for now I believe....

You are right also that SACD will take a much longer time (possibly never if Sony get thier way) to make it to the PC... I also predict that within 12 months of this release the MLP decoding will be hacked like CSS....

So Jim, With all this talk of an uber Media Jukebox, when are JRiver planning to build DVD ripping into the application... I am manually ripping DVD VOB's and using a group of tools for rip and playback....  

HTPC Front ends  

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2002, 12:16:34 pm »

I only own one DVD-A so far, Blue Man Group - Audio.  I would like to make a CD copy of it to listen to in the car.  I hooked up my PlayStation 2 to the optical in on my Audigy, but all I got was digital noise.  I guess the PS2 was outputting at 96KHz, and the Audigy was trying to record at 48KHz.  :(

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2002, 11:54:05 pm »

First thing.... If you are using the digital out then you are not actually listening to the DVD-A 24/192 layer anyway.... The DVD-V layer 24/96 that will work in a DVD-V player is ripable and copyable...

I get the impression tha you want to make a Redbook CD (for playing in the car) if you play it with anything that has an anlogue out and record that with the line in then you will have a clean copy but not a digital extraction...

If you have a DVD player in the car and need to make a DVD rip let me know and I will point you to the tools...
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up