INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping To Single File - UPnP problem  (Read 1967 times)

Galliano

• Recent member
Ripping To Single File - UPnP problem
« on: January 26, 2006, 02:45:04 pm »

Hi

I have been ripping CDs to a single MP3 file with a cue sheet, with a view to achieving gapless playbackon a Streamium 300.

It all works fine playing back through Media Center, but not on the Streamium.

The Streamium recognises and lists the individual tracks but, when asked to play them, just quickly flicks through each track on the CD (running through each one in about a second) without actually playing any audio. It seems to just see them as a piece of cue information with no audio attached.

The only way to play the audio is to locate and play the single file - which of course gives gapless playback, but loses all the track information or the ability to skip a track.

Does anyone know if this is this likely to be a problem with something I've done on Media Center...a problem with Streamium...or does the system of single files and Cue not work over the UPnP server?

Thanks very much.

Foz

• Recent member
Re: Ripping To Single File - UPnP problem
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 12:45:49 pm »

This is currently the behaviour with the UPnP and Library servers when it comes to CUE and file combos (I use APE).

My Netgear plays the album from the start of the first track whatever track I choose.  Library server just skips through as you described.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 01:11:56 pm »

You can use APL files (Monkey's Audio Link files) with Library Server and probably with UPnP Server too when the file format conversion is enabled. Unfortunately APL files don't work currently without the conversion.

Monkey's Audio package has a program named MakeAPL that can create APL files from a cue file.

Several users have asked that APL files for other compression formats than Monkey's Audio could be used as an alternative for the virtual cue tracks. The biggest advantage would be the physical file tags on a disk file. Currently it is very difficult to move tagged cue tracks from a PC to another and it is impossible to use the Update Library (from tags) tool.

I suppose the remaining cue problems would be easier to resolve with the APL system.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Galliano

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 03:29:01 pm »

Hi Alex

Sorry - but I don't quite follow your answer...are you just responding to Foz's point about APL, or does it apply to my original problem with using mp3 and the cue sheet with a Streamium?

Thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 03:50:05 pm »

Cue tracks don't work with the servers.

APL files could be a solution (or make fixing the problem easier) if MC could understand MP3, OGG, etc APL files. Currently MC supports only APL files that point to Monkey's Audio files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Galliano

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 03:54:29 pm »

Thanks - I'll stop fiddling about at home trying to make it work then!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 03:59:12 pm »

Besides, I don't think your UPnP device would change to gapless. If MC could split and deliver separate tracks from the disc image file your device would also receive them as separate tracks and produce audible gaps as usual.

Galliano

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 04:47:07 pm »

Possibly you're right.
I believe Squeezebox does it froma cure file...but I doubt Streamium does.
Pages: [1]   Go Up