INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing Tags Problem  (Read 1694 times)

• World Citizen
Changing Tags Problem
« on: January 26, 2006, 09:30:53 pm »

Hey
I have 17000 files imported in to Media Center but they are tagged using ID3 v1 tags. So most of the names are cut off at 30 characters. I was wondering can I change to ID3 v2 tags and get all the shortened names replaced by the full names. Do I have to re-import or what? How do I change the tagging?

CDvd

• World Citizen
Re: Changing Tags Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 10:32:59 pm »

If your files are ALL named in an scheme like "Artist - name.mp3" it's realy easy to fix your library.

Right click on a shortened file and test "Library Tools / Fills Properties from filename"
Check "Filename" and put this "[Artist] - [Name]"

If you want more info about this just post again here
Don't forget to test some files before using this tool on your entire library.
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 11:09:29 am »

That does work. Thanks. But alot of my files have different directeries and stuff. And how do I actually change to ID3 v2 tags for future imports of new files.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 11:47:22 am »

Look at:

Plug-In Manager -> Input -> MP3 Plugin -> Configure button.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 11:58:04 am »

I have 17000 files imported in to Media Center but they are tagged using ID3 v1 tags. So most of the names are cut off at 30 characters. I was wondering can I change to ID3 v2 tags and get all the shortened names replaced by the full names. Do I have to re-import or what? How do I change the tagging?

...And how do I actually change to ID3 v2 tags for future imports of new files.

By default MC reads and writes ID3v2 tags besides ID3v1. You can change that with the Plug-in Manager. If the ID3v2 tags are present MC uses them when reading the file tags.

If your files don't have ID3v2 tags they don't magically appear from somewhere. On the first write attempt MC adds the ID3v2 tags if missing, but it can only use the information that is available.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up