INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interact via RSS  (Read 2569 times)

EpF

• Citizen of the Universe
Interact via RSS
« on: November 25, 2005, 10:08:35 pm »

2 things I've noticed about Interact since moving from Feed Demon News Reader to the Firefox-based Sage Reader extension:

First, which is not so serious but would be great if it could be changed:  No matter which forum you set up in the aggregator, it gives the title as INTERACT FORUM.  It would be great if the different boards could identify themselves uniquely, cause with Sage you can't title the feeds yourself - they autmotically get the title from the feed.

Second, also not so serious, but a definite oversight/problem, is that in whatever generates the HTML for the boards, a <div> class is opened for quotes, but not closed in the code.  This means that in News aggregators like Sage (and Habari Xenu, also a plugin for Fx), you get nested articles which look like they are supposed to be linked in some way but aren't.

The two things can be seen in the screenshot:

The code for one of the offending quotes looks like this:
Code: [Select]
<hr width="100%" size="1" class="hrcolor" />

<div class="quoteheader">
<a href="http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php...etc">Quote from: Qythyx on 25/11/05, 01:42
</a>
</div>

<div class="quote">Here&#039;s some feedback ...syncing to my iPod Nano:
<br />
<br />3. It would also be great ... to suit your needs of course.
<br />The noreplaygain simply...etc.

</td>
I've edited the cut-and-paste for handiness' sake, but trust me; the second <div> doesn't get closed...  I know all are hard at work on 11.1, so I'm not holding my breath; I just noticed it so I thought I'd bring it up..  ;)

bob

• Administrator
Re: Interact via RSS
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 04:15:57 pm »

I'll see if I can find the /div problem...

EpF

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 05:07:53 pm »

Thanks Bob!  ;D

Does that mean there's no chance of giving the boards individual names then?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 02:08:47 pm »

Unfortunately the name can't be omitted and even though you rename the forum in sage, it overrides that name every time you switch back to that feed from some other feed. I see this a a bug in sage since you can rename the feed with properties but it gets overwritten next time the feed is selected.

I haven't found the div bug yet.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 03:08:22 pm »

There don't appear to be any unmatched div's in the forum code. It seems like the forum is sending html that sage can't render properly. I don't think the problem is the forum software at this point.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 05:03:05 pm »

Unfortunately the name can't be omitted and even though you rename the forum in sage, it overrides that name every time you switch back to that feed from some other feed. I see this a a bug in sage since you can rename the feed with properties but it gets overwritten next time the feed is selected.

Can you configure your RSS feed to fill the <title> element with something more descriptive than the root board (INTERACT FORUM)?

EpF

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 03:13:33 am »

<description>
<![CDATA[
<div class="quoteheader">
<a href="http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30455.msg209598#msg209598">Quote from: serf on
<b>Today
</b> at 01:37:02 AM</a>
</div>
<div class="quote">Using the &quot;my computer&quot; in MC11.1.66 to go the directory in which I have 14 .mp4 files (converted from DVDs), it takes for ever to &quot;update view &amp; gather info&qu...
]]>
</description>
Hi Bob; above is code copied directly from the .php file you get if you just download the link to the RSS feed.  All I've done is insert a line-break at each tag.  As you can see, there is an open <div> tag...

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 10:38:48 pm »

There don't appear to be any unmatched div's in the forum code. It seems like the forum is sending html that sage can't render properly. I don't think the problem is the forum software at this point.

Bob,

The forum software should be sending RSS 0.92, not html.  Unfortunately, it sends some HTML in the <title>, <description>, and <category> elements by putting it in as CDATA.

EpF:  How are you viewing the "raw" RSS feed that's produced by the php script?  If you're looking at it in a browser, it's probably getting transformed.  Look at the feed in one of the online feed validators such as http://feedvalidator.org/ or http://validator.w3.org/feed/ and see what you find.  I don't see any unclosed <div> elements... but there are lots of 'em to check!

EpF

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 03:37:03 am »

IlPadrino;
I was viewing the downloaded .php file in Notepad++, so it was showing me exactly the same as the feed validator at w3.org.  The validator did not report unclosed 'div' tags, however they are still there - possibly because the validator is not looking for html, and so doesn't report a problem when the html isn't complete?  I don't know; I'm a complete novice at this stuff.

That said, I think I've discovered something; the Interact feed only produces unclosed 'div' tags when it cuts off the 'item' description before it gets to the end of the quote, eg.

The code looks like this:
<div class="quote">There don&#039;t appear to be any unmatched div&#039;s in the forum code. It seems like the forum is sending html that sage can&#039;t render properly. I don&#039;t think the probl...]]>You can see that however it is editing the post, it is cutting the source code from the board, so the closing tag doesn't make it into the feed..

Bob;
I hope that this is of some use to you. By the way, when I validated the feed at w3.org, it gave this error:
pubDate must be an RFC-822 date-time (40 occurrences)

<pubDate>Thu, 01 Dec 2005 06:52:07 GMT Standard Time</pubDate>
with an indicator where I have made the colon red.

Sorry to add to your woes, but there's no publication date on the board when I view it; I thought it was because none was included, but maybe this is the problem...

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 08:04:11 am »

EpF,

I see what you mean now.  But I don't think you'll have any luck with JRiver - see the thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30386.0 where Jim suggests talking to SMF about the <pubDate> problem.

Another angle for the solution is to talk to the Sage developer(s).  Because RSS doesn't support the use of HTML within the elements, it's up to the aggregrator to decide what to do with it when rendering the feed.  Perhaps Sage would be willing to be more robust in this area.

Marty3d

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 05:28:59 am »

Any news on the unclosed div tags? My newsreader really doesn't like 'em :/

<description><![CDATA[<div class="quoteheader">Quote from: Rizlaw on January 29, 2006, 01:33:45 AM
</div>
<div class="quote">I just setup new Shuttle SN25P with AMD FX55 and XP PRO 64bit OS. Downloaded and installed latest
   build of MC (11.1.108). I am now having one big problem: not all cover art is b...]]>
</description>

If I were the programmer, I'd check for unclosed tags after truncating the text and add closing tags. Another solution could be to strip the output from these <tag></tag> at all except those <this is a tag />
Then you should be fine. :)

Thanks!
/Martin

Pages: [1]   Go Up