INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay Gain removal?  (Read 3120 times)

Moto

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Replay Gain removal?
« on: January 26, 2006, 11:30:38 am »

? ? Is there a way to remove the current replaygain analysis from my files, in a batch type way, within MC?? I am currently running MC11.1.105. I would like to start fresh and reanylize all my MP3's. I do have mp3Gain but have not messed with it to much, I believe it has a way to remove analysis from the files.? ? Although I would much rather do it within MC if possible. Also for my information does MC use the standard tag for writing replaygain info to files? or does it use its own, porprietary, way of writing this info? Thanks.

-Moto
Moto

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Replay Gain removal?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 01:42:26 pm »

If you analyze the ones that are already done, Just unch the box that says : Skip Analyzed files. This should reanyalyze them all.
-

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 01:52:24 pm »

If you have used MP3Gain MC can't remove it.
Yes MC does write the RG info in its own way.

If you use MP3 only and use other devices, MP3Gain without its tags is the best way to go.
If you use other than MP3, then each player and device have their own methods.

rendier

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 06:56:45 pm »

So, does the MC Replay Gain work with the iPod?

enervation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 05:37:48 am »

It sure would be nice if I could configure the tag names that MC uses for Replay Gain.  :D

It would be even nicer if MC would use standard tags for some other things as well - like rating. And also it would be nice for it to use "Album Artist" as a tag name instead of "Media Jukebox: Album Artist".

Moto: mp3Gain and MC use different methods. MC analyzes the file and then adds a tag, that only MC understands, which tells itself to play the file at a lower or higher volume. mp3Gain actually alters the file itself, so that the volume will be equalized no matter what program you use.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 07:28:13 am »

? ? Is there a way to remove the current replaygain analysis from my files, in a batch type way, within MC?? I am currently running MC11.1.105. I would like to start fresh and reanylize all my MP3's. I do have mp3Gain but have not messed with it to much, I believe it has a way to remove analysis from the files.? ? Although I would much rather do it within MC if possible. Also for my information does MC use the standard tag for writing replaygain info to files? or does it use its own, porprietary, way of writing this info? Thanks.

Actually, there is no standard tag. As far as I know, JRiver's Media Jukebox 8 alpha/beta was the first player program that implimented replay gain analysis and playback correction sometime in late 2001. Unfortunately the forum search cannot find posts that are posted before january 2002.

About the same time the first MP3Gain beta versions were introduced. Soon after that the first third party Winamp decoder plug-ins that have replay gain capability started to appear too. Foobar2000 project was started later in late 2002 and the replay gain system it uses was introduced mostly in 2003.

So we have at least three standards for writing Replay Gain info to MP3 files: the JRiver system (uses ID3v2 COMM tags), the MP3Gain system (stores the undo info in APE tags) and the Foobar2000 system (uses ID3v2 TXXX tags that are different from what JRiver uses).

Luckily it is possible to use the MP3Gain and JRiver systems at the same time. The files must be analyzed first with MP3Gain and then with Media Center to make this work properly. MP3Gain can change the volume inside the MP3 frames. After that all MP3 decoders (including HW players) use the corrected volume. The changed files must be analyzed (or reanalyzed) with MC to make the playback replay gain work correctly. I would recommend using MP3Gain in the Album Gain mode because that would make the loudest tracks to have about the same volume across different albums and still keep the quieter tracks in correct proportion.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 01:59:34 pm »

Might I add that I'd turn off the 'Undo' in MP3Gain.
It writes APE tags to your MP3 files and there are several apps and hardware devices that do not like to have APE tags on MP3 files.

Do you lose the ability to reverse the operation?
No, you lose the ability to reverse it by reading the tags.
You can still look at the log it writes to see what has been done.

Or simply try a few and decide what I good level is. Then use it.
Personally I use 90 db and Album mode here.

Moto

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 04:16:42 pm »

Thanks for all of the input guys, it clears a few things up for me. Anyways, I ended up running MP3gain on my files and then ran MC's replay gain. While MC was analysing I noticed a big change in this analysis compared to the original analysis numbers which were calculated during the ripping process. Any ideas as to why they woul be different?? I am now running the analysis seperatley, after ripping. What do you guys favor? durring the rip or after? End result my files are much, much, closer in volume compared to before.  Oh yeah, being impatiant I ran mP3gain on my files with the option to write to the file tags before I read a response from GHam, all seems to be fine so far, although I am far from being an expert. Thanks again.

-Moto
Moto

enervation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 04:38:41 pm »

Thanks for all of the input guys, it clears a few things up for me. Anyways, I ended up running MP3gain on my files and then ran MC's replay gain. While MC was analysing I noticed a big change in this analysis compared to the original analysis numbers which were calculated during the ripping process. Any ideas as to why they woul be different?? I am now running the analysis seperatley, after ripping. What do you guys favor? durring the rip or after? End result my files are much, much, closer in volume compared to before.  Oh yeah, being impatiant I ran mP3gain on my files with the option to write to the file tags before I read a response from GHam, all seems to be fine so far, although I am far from being an expert. Thanks again.

-Moto

They are different because mp3gain changes the volume of the track, so when MC analyses it, it appears louder or quieter than before, so the analysis results are different. The reason that there is still some difference between tracks is due to mp3gain only changing the volume in increments of 3db (if I remember correctly), to avoid loss in sound quality, while MC's analysis is more precise than this (0.01db).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 04:58:57 pm »

Thanks for all of the input guys, it clears a few things up for me. Anyways, I ended up running MP3gain on my files and then ran MC's replay gain. While MC was analysing I noticed a big change in this analysis compared to the original analysis numbers which were calculated during the ripping process. Any ideas as to why they woul be different?? I am now running the analysis seperatley, after ripping. What do you guys favor? durring the rip or after? End result my files are much, much, closer in volume compared to before. Oh yeah, being impatiant I ran mP3gain on my files with the option to write to the file tags before I read a response from GHam, all seems to be fine so far, although I am far from being an expert.

As enervation explained, that is normal and the reason why the files should be re-analyzed in MC afterwards. Otherwise the fine replay gain options in MC wouldn't work correctly.

If you are going to use MP3Gain it is unnecessary to analyze the files in MC before that. MP3Gain does not understand the file tags MC writes.

On the other hand, MP3Gain's undo info tag doesn't bother MC. MC ignores it completely. MC does not read or destroy that tag in MP3 files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up