INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing tags from photo metadata  (Read 1701 times)

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
Importing tags from photo metadata
« on: February 05, 2006, 09:37:16 pm »

I use Photoshop Elements for managing my digital photos, but I want to start importing photos in to MC too, so I can access them from my TiVo. Is there any way MC can read the keyword tags from my photos if they're stored in the metadata?
Sue

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Importing tags from photo metadata
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 01:06:08 am »

not that I'm aware of.

I am in exactly the same boat, and would love for MC to read in the elements tags. It would make life so much easier.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 03:03:00 pm »

That's a bummer. But it seems that I can't import any photos into MC now anyway… it crashes every time I try. (Version 1.1.113)
Sue

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 04:24:45 pm »

That's a bummer. But it seems that I can't import any photos into MC now anyway… it crashes every time I try. (Version 1.1.113)

Please post a log (Help > Configure debug logging...) after the crash.

Also, could you send a sample image to matt @ jriver.com.  This isn't a problem we've heard before.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 10:58:57 pm »

Hi Matt,

It tells me the log is empty. The only thing checked under events to be logged is "Import." Do I need to change settings to get a log to send you? I think it might be crashing before MC has a chance to log it. Here's what Windows event viewer shows:

Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   Application Error
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   1000
Date:      2/6/2006
Time:      11:43:45 PM
User:      N/A
Computer:   SUE-DESKTOP
Description:
Faulting application media center.exe, version 11.1.113.0, faulting module jrimage.dll, version 11.1.113.0, fault address 0x0007820c.

From what I can tell, it is only crashing when I try to import pictures from my Canon Powershot A80 camera. My Mom has the same camera so I tried importing photos from both her camera and mine and I get the same results. I tried a few photos from other sources and those worked fine.

I'll send a sample image to your e-mail. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you troubleshoot.

PS: Any thoughts on importing photo metadata?
Sue

rendier

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 02:49:55 pm »

Sorry to butt in on this conversation, but when you say "keywords" and "metadata", I presume you're talking about the EXIF tags?  These are the handy ones to have (for jpeg anyway), as this is the standard format to save them in...

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 03:31:03 pm »

EXIF tags are put there when the photo is taken. Since keywords are put in later, they're not really EXIF data. Different programs have different ways of storing keywords and captions, but I believe Photoshop Elements uses IPTC and XMP tags. Metadata is really a generic term that refers to any kind of extra information stored in a file.
Sue
Pages: [1]   Go Up