INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod + MC = no iTunes (Is This Equation Correct?)  (Read 843 times)

JaredH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Superfluously Articulate
iPod + MC = no iTunes (Is This Equation Correct?)
« on: February 12, 2006, 01:25:48 pm »

I am looking into buying a 60G iPod next month. I would prefer to not use iTunes at all if possible. I would even like to avoid installing it on my system if I can get by with it. I would like to avoid iTunes completely until I make the move to Mac.

Is this possible with the current incarnation of MC? I recognize the changes that have been made for MC11.1 for iPods, however I couldn't understand whether or not you still needed to use iTunes.

Answers, suggestions, or smart remarks?
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: iPod + MC = no iTunes (Is This Equation Correct?)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 02:00:42 pm »

You do not need to install iTunes.

iTunes runs several background programs all the time, even when closed.  These programs take memory, CPU cycles, and can actually cause problems for MC because they silently read and write to the iPod without letting the user know it's happening.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 02:14:45 pm »

I got me a black, 5g, 60gig ipod just before christmas.

I dropped the installation disc, unopened, into my folder for keeping these things (just in case) and plugged the ipod in.

I've been using it without a problem with MC11.1 and have never, ever needed to install itunes here. picture support in mc arrived in the nick of time ;)

JaredH

• Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 02:21:27 pm »

That's flippin sweet.

Man, it's gonna be a serious heart-breaker when I move to Mac next year. Losing MC is going to be like losing a limb. I surely hope one day that you guys consider a Mac port.

Regardless, as long as PCs and their users still exist and J River stilll makes a Media Jukebox/Center product, I'll always be recruiting new users to come to your camp.
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up