INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center under WINE in Linux  (Read 2193 times)

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
  • Negopus: negotium, otium et opus
Media Center under WINE in Linux
« on: September 07, 2005, 03:00:44 pm »

Has anyone succeeded in running Media Center under Linux with the WINE "emulator"?

Media Center is the only reason that makes me wait switching to Linux. Linux media players cannot even compare to Media Center (first impression).

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center under WINE in Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 03:58:32 pm »

If I understand how the WINE group works, what's needed is for a group of programmers to get active with the reverse porting.  You could be the test bunny by trying it out now and working with WINE to get all the hooks installed.  Alternatively, jriver could decide to skip past the first 5,000 items on their feature request list and go straight to this.  Or maybe bug Sparta and some of the others and see if they'll help with the coding.

jojo1967

• Recent member
  • I'm a music junkie
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 03:29:45 pm »

Thought I'd add on this....

I'm running XanderOS 3.02 to play with right now.  So far Mediacenter is running under wine, however it doesn't load some of the plugins after install.  It did let me install properly under Linux/Wine, and added files to the database.  I've not attempted playback, just yet because I ended up having something go wrong with the sound card on that system :(  But, yes it is up and running under Crossover office (Code Weavers)

Oh, how I wish I had a Linux Native version though !!! There are some players out there, but nothing as advanced as JR

jojo1967

• Recent member
  • I'm a music junkie
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 09:03:48 pm »

well, I'm thinking it doesn't run well, the menu functions are missing, and not sure if I have configured things right, but haven't gotten it to play anything, just yet so .... who knows.  I'd really love to see a native version first, wine still isn't where it should have been after all this time.  I'd figure after 6 years since I first heard about wine it would be better at performance than it is, ... but can we just say... Slooooowwww?

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
  • Negopus: negotium, otium et opus
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 04:36:35 am »

Thank you for the (good) news: somehow Media Center runs in WINE under Linux.

I am stuck with soundcard configuration under Linux. My PC has an integrated soundcard on the motherboard and an additional Terratec EWX 24/96. I succeeded in hearing sound using the KDE control center, but no player could make any sound. So I paused my attempts. I am just at the beginning of my Linux experience. I think that configuring such a complex piece of software like Media Center to run under WINE is a little too far for a beginner (although stimulating).

I am so frustrated by Windows as an operating system that I am looking for a better alternative. Unfortunately it's not the operating system itself, but the applications that keep me stuck to Windows. There is no such a player as Media Center under Linux. Also, the few other open-source applications I have tried do not stand up to their Windows counterparts (but this is just a first impression, I might be wrong).

Clearly I would prefer a native Linux version of Media Center, but I understand there are so many OS-specific issues in the current version of Media Center, from playback engines to external device support, that a full rewrite of the software would be extremely expensive, and J River might consider it not worth the effort, as there are not enough Linux users out there on the market. That's business.

ferent

• Galactic Citizen
  • Go to Linux
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 04:56:30 am »

Could somebody tell me how to run MC under Suse Linux 10, I´ve got instaled Wine. A basic guide please...
Go to linux
Pages: [1]   Go Up