INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Record Sound / LP ripping feature requests  (Read 1647 times)

Jefe74

• Recent member
Record Sound / LP ripping feature requests
« on: February 10, 2006, 04:12:20 pm »

Hey there,

I've been using MC for a while and loving it.  Wife loves not having piles of CDs all over the stereo.  But I am also a vinyl nut.  While the records sound best straight from the turntable, I want to get some of them ripped in for background listening, transfer to CD,IPOD etc.

I have been playing with other recording software, mostly because MC was crashing whenever I tried to use Record Sound with my RME soundcard, but that seems to be fixed in recent versions.  I love, LOVE, the track name lookup in MC and have not found that feature anywhere else.  But there are a few things lacking that could make MC far and away the best for LP and tape ripping.  Here are my requests in order of preference:

1) Control to record at higher sample rates and bit depth as supported by the sound card.  I would love to be able to record my LPs at 48/20 or 96/24

2) I read an article a while back (that of course I can now not find) that said most lossless compression formats down sample anything higher than 44.1.  Does MC support any lossless formats that would preserve the sample rate?

3) Sometimes the autotrack splitting doen't get it right, usually creating more tracks then needed.  When that happens, it is a pain to go through, delete the affected tracks, rerecord, then fix the filenames, track numbers, tags, etc.  One program I played with would show a graphic of the entire rip, with lines shown at the places it detected to split tracks.  Before it did the split, you could listen to the parts where it split, add, move, or delete splits as needed.

Even just being able to set the starting track number and name from the looked up list would help alot here.

4) Automatic album art lookup

5) Integrated noise reduction and declicking filter.  Not a big concern for me, as I don't mind using different software for the few noisy albums I have, but others might find it usefull.

Thanks,
Jeff

hpeck

Re: Record Sound / LP ripping feature requests
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 08:14:54 pm »

Hi Jeff,

I am running MC as a free tryout, specifically to see how it works at ripping my old LPs.
As soon as I installed it, the audio link to my receiver - which up to that time worked - stopped. I used to be able to hear my receiver (and all that is plugged to it: cassette, phono, CD, MD) through my PC speakers (which have a seperate sub-woofer).

I've read the "Line-In Recording Tips" section, but still have the same problem: no sound comes into my PC.

Best,
Hebert

iajim

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 01:31:08 pm »

I am doing a lot of LP work & find the best way to achieve faithfull recording is as follows:
Feed the turntable into a flat linear preamp. This will circumvent the roll-off associated with traditional preamping or AVR equipment.
Feed the output into line-in on the PC
Record it to a wav file with DC-6 (Dimond Cut Six  tracertec.com) then go from there. This program will also with a little practice restore LP tracks to near original condition.

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 03:17:22 pm »

Diamond Cut 6 is very good indeed for recording and denoising (?) vinyl sources but not so good as an audio editor for me. Inserting silences, fades, trimming etc.  The new Audition 2 is a first rate editor and includes a denoiser within the porgram - maybe the best affordable all-in-one solution I've found for transferring vinyl to a PC.

But I prefer Sound Forge/Waves as a combination - more subtle and flexible - but at a big cost.

But vinyl transferring remains an art not a science I feel - do you add a bit of bass? Fiddle with compression? Do you just take out the bad stuff from a dodgy 45 or try to restore it fully by remixing the cut?

John.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 10:52:52 am »

Thanks much for the input on the sound recording function. I've copied your suggestions to the list of possible enhancements.
I can't promise anything at this time, as it all depends on our time commitments and priorities.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 12:03:35 pm »

Jefe--
Regarding your point #2, I went through tracks that came from 48/16 WAV and which I converted either to FLAC or to WMA (lossless).  The FLACs are still 48/16, but the WMA lossless are now 44.1/16.  What a hose job that turned out to be.  Fortunately the WMA tracks are mostly 1-stars affairs, but I thought I was TRANSCODING, not CONVERTING, Mr. Bill Gates!

Moral of the story:  don't trust MSFT (gasp!). 

FLAC, however, works perfectly and as promised.

Jefe74

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 01:08:26 pm »

As I mentioned, I can't find the article now. It was in an English high end audio rag, but I do remember that WMA lossless mangled files that started higher than 44.1.  So did most of the other formats.  Don't remember if they looked at APE or FLAC.

On my other points, one thing that would REALLY help is if the sound recorder would start on the track you have highlighted on the list, instead of always starting at track one.  In case you have to re-rip, or you just want to pull a couple of tracks off the record.

Thanks.

JONCAT

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 08:24:28 pm »

I find Wavelab very intuitive and you can edit in realtime toggling effects, playback while cut & paste, and the like as you work.

I have the Cooledit ape plugin installed for Send To of ape files that need a quick edit, very handy! But wavelab is my choice although Soundforge has that click redraw which is killer.

I try not tweak anything to much, NO compression with Waves L2 but dither with it and click removal if REALLY bad. I try to keep in mind that's its "archiving" but I understand some stuff just sounds abyssmal.  :o

Now that I have Wavelab configured perfectly for auto-start/pause, insert markers things are a LOT easier, and the batch process is great after auto split.

Good to see this discussion for MC...it's a great idea.

OT: winamp has no asio output driver? yikes

the platter turns,
Dr. C
Pages: [1]   Go Up