INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mp3 to ape/wma lossless conversion..is itworth it?  (Read 1118 times)

kandarohi

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
mp3 to ape/wma lossless conversion..is itworth it?
« on: September 21, 2002, 12:37:12 am »

i have loads of mp3s on my ststem, mostly at 128 kbps. i have heard that ape/wma lossless files sound better, though they take up more space. if i converted all my mp3s, would the sound quality be better, and if so, whats the procedure for getting mj to do this without if possible, losing my existing playlists? thanx

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: mp3 to ape/wma lossless conversion..is itworth
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2002, 12:49:10 am »

No converting 128kbps MP3s to APE or WMA lossless will not make them sound better.  MP3 is a lossy format, which basically means that when you compress the audio some of the data is lost.  Converting back to a lossless format does not make that lost data magically reappear.  You would end up with an APE file that has the sound quality of a 128kbps MP3.

Rob

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2002, 01:15:38 am »

To echo the above definiately not worth it.. You have lost the bits already... Thats why lossless has an advantage if you only encode lossless to begin with you can rebuild the origional... You cannot rebuilt the origional with a lossy format (MP3 / OGG / WMA / Whatever)...

Also its a fine way to get banned / badmouthed from any lossless trading circles...  Cardinal sin with those guys...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

kandarohi

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2002, 03:24:25 am »

one of the reasons why i want to start using ape/wma lossless is to get into lossless trading, so thanks for the warning, phreddy!
  i don't have my mega perfect hifi anymore, or superb vinyl collection...all i have are a lot of very good sound quality jazz cassettes. i have been thinking of putting these onto my pc as lossless files, but dont know if its worth it for cassettes, which, however good quality they are, will not be as good as the original vinyl, and i would expect to lose a little more quality in the encoding process. i want to know if it would be worthwile, whether to use any noise reduction in playback(which i never do when listening, as i think they all destroy treble, particularly cymbals), and if i would get a result worthy to trade as lossless material. any ideas on this, anyone?, and thanx

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2002, 06:52:53 am »

>>i have been thinking of putting these onto my pc as lossless files, but dont know if its worth it for cassettes

It is, especially since you don't have the original sources. You can "freeze" the quality level by doing so (earth's mag field is erasing your tapes as I type). With careful line-in recording you will get ape/flac files that sound indestiguishable from the tapes.

Xenno
Pages: [1]   Go Up