INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to physically remove files  (Read 1899 times)

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
Best way to physically remove files
« on: September 23, 2002, 12:16:09 pm »

Since some information about the files are stored externally in MJ (i.e. playlist) it is not a good idea to move files in the operating system and reimport files to MJ. What is the best way to move files physically so that the information that is kept in the database is pointing to the right file locations?

As a related issue, I added a new comment to the wish list about right click (Move/Rename) to folders in file location scheme, which would solve the above problem.

:-/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Best way to physically remove files
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2002, 12:25:19 pm »

The best way is the built-in explorer in version 9 -- it'll keep your database synchronized.

Since 9 isn't really ready for mass consumption, your next best bet is either Move/Copy, or the File Property tools.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2002, 12:37:43 pm »

Since some information about the files are stored externally in MJ (i.e. playlist) it is not a good idea to move files in the operating system and reimport files to MJ. What is the best way to move files physically so that the information that is kept in the database is pointing to the right file locations?

As a related issue, I added a new comment to the wish list about right click (Move/Rename) to folders in file location scheme, which would solve the above problem.

:-/

Yeah, this is what I asked about earlier. Move/Copy doesn't do it. The Tools\Rename command in the properties dialog will do it, but it won't work for me if I want to do more than a hundred files at a time. PITA.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2002, 12:40:53 pm »

Why won't Move\Copy do it?

As long as you're moving a bunch of files to the same folder, it works fine.

If you want to move a bunch of files to different folders, then Rename and/or Find & Replace works good too.

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2002, 01:00:34 pm »

Why won't Move\Copy do it?

As long as you're moving a bunch of files to the same folder, it works fine.

If you want to move a bunch of files to different folders, then Rename and/or Find & Replace works good too.

As you said, Move/Copy only works if you're dumping all the files into the same folder. No fun when you're dealing with thousands of files spanning hundreds of artists.

Rename (from the Properties dialog) is useless for more than a few dozen files. It's painfully slow to get the files INTO the Properties dialog and it often locks up. I haven't tried Find & Replace.  Where is this?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2002, 01:08:44 pm »

Find & Replace is also in Properties. :P

Are you sure it's locking up? I've had to walk away from it and let it do its thing a few times, and in times like that Task Manager will report it as Not Responding.

Not Responding does not equal Locked Up. It just means that it's not responding to an OS query. A lot of times that does mean a task has locked up, but it can also just mean that the process is so busy that it can't respond. In time it will finish what it's doing and you can then proceed.

MJ9 gives you access to the Find & Replace function without having to load everything up into Properties first.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2002, 01:12:19 pm »

>> Are you sure it's locking up?
Yes it does from time to time mostly due to an MP3 with a Bad Id3v2 tag.

i have been able to fix mine everytime if i remove the tag and re-write it In MJ.

Yes MJ should not do this, but it does, and it only does it on my test files i have downloaded from the net and not ones that i riped my self with MJ.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2002, 02:11:40 pm »

Hm... I've never had that happen.

But then I don't do a hell of a lot of downloading.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2002, 02:18:19 pm »

The best way is the built-in explorer in version 9 -- it'll keep your database synchronized.

Since 9 isn't really ready for mass consumption, your next best bet is either Move/Copy, or the File Property tools.

I just renamed a music folder in MJ9, a playlist that used to point to that folder cannot play the files. I have more on this bug, I will post it to latest MJ9 release thread.

:(

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2002, 07:02:25 pm »

Find & Replace is also in Properties. :P

Are you sure it's locking up? I've had to walk away from it and let it do its thing a few times, and in times like that Task Manager will report it as Not Responding.

Not Responding does not equal Locked Up. It just means that it's not responding to an OS query. A lot of times that does mean a task has locked up, but it can also just mean that the process is so busy that it can't respond. In time it will finish what it's doing and you can then proceed.

MJ9 gives you access to the Find & Replace function without having to load everything up into Properties first.

2 hours with no activity. Tried it a couple of times.

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2002, 07:21:00 pm »

>> Are you sure it's locking up?
Yes it does from time to time mostly due to an MP3 with a Bad Id3v2 tag.

i have been able to fix mine everytime if i remove the tag and re-write it In MJ.

Yes MJ should not do this, but it does, and it only does it on my test files i have downloaded from the net and not ones that i riped my self with MJ.

It's not the tag's fault. Bug bug bug bug, bug bug bug bug....

Media Jukebox is nice, but's it definitely not for the faint of heart. You ever tried making a data CD with it? As in, backing up your MP3s to CD? Conceptually it's very nice. Simplifies the task. But why the heck does it have to "analyze" my devices every time I look at it funny? And why does that action take so long?

Ah well, it still kicks ass, overall.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2002, 06:09:06 am »

Find / Replace worked for me for a small set of songs. (~100)Thanks. :)

Those who have locking problem may have better luck if they replace the files physically first and then use file/replace to update the database field accordingly. ;)

Pages: [1]   Go Up