INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: newbie question about FLAC  (Read 1021 times)

MikeLa

newbie question about FLAC
« on: February 15, 2006, 04:34:09 pm »

I'm looking to change to Media Center but I'm confused how to setup the player to decode Flac. Are plug-in's the only way to extend MC? Is the Flac plug-in the only option?

dpippel

• World Citizen
Re: newbie question about FLAC
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 05:27:57 pm »

If you want to use FLAC then yes, the plug-ins are the only way to go. Nothing wrong with that though, and they work just fine.

MikeLa

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 08:19:54 pm »

Thanks. I thought I read some folks were having problems with the current version. Also, Can the decoder effect sound quality, or Flac is Flac no matter what decoder you use you get the original file quality?

Sorry for the basic quesitons.

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 08:44:07 pm »

Mike--
FLAC is FLAC (99.9999% of the time).  I've tested this.  If you are looking to transcode today, FLAC will be transparent  to FLAC decoders 20 years from now.  Open-source development is your best guarantee of this.  When MC upgrades their software, the FLAC plugin must be upgraded also and this falls on the shoulders of scthom, a customer just like you and me.  If he takes a few days to do this, people start to shout and that's what you're reading on the forum.  But I've used MC FLAC with dbPowerAmp FLAC and with etree.org FLAC.  They all work.  So sweat not, chief, and start encoding!

MikeLa

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 10:00:15 pm »

Great, I'll fire up EAC and start ripping
Pages: [1]   Go Up