INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newer Library Server not working with [Filename(path)] rule.  (Read 996 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Newer Library Server not working with [Filename(path)] rule.
« on: February 15, 2006, 06:53:38 pm »

The Library Server has changed such that it is now screwing up my view scheme functionality in my iPod setup configuration.  In a nutshell, I have a smartlist that has as one of the rules "[Filename (path)]=D:\Audio Library\".  The "D" drive in this case refers of course to the server's drive, NOT the client, since the rule was written and is being "read" from the server machine.  Unfortunately, the client no longer understands that the rule is referencing the server's drive, which breaks the functionality.  Since the audio files don't exist on the "local" D drive, MC suddenely no longer sees these files.  The client needs to understand that the rule refers to the server's D drive, which has always been the case before now.

This was NOT a problem with earlier builds.  The smartlist worked the same way on the client machine that it did on the server WITHOUT making any changes -- browsing from the client functioned as if you were browsing from the server since the client properly interpreted the "D" drive as being the SERVER'S D drive.  My rule has not changed (it has always been "[Filename (path)]=D:\Audio Library\") -- it's MC's interpretation of the [Filename(path)] rule on the client machine that has apparently changed.  This means that my iPod setup scheme is currenlty broken with the current build of 11.1 when I'm using the client machine.

I don't know exactly when this issue popped up, but I can say that it's always worked properly with earlier builds, inlcuding 9, 9.1, 10, and 11.  Since the rule is being "read" off the server machine, it should refer to the server's drives.  Note that even if you change the smartlist or veiw scheme on the client, the next time you open MC it reloads the server's library, and the problem once again presents itself.

On a related note, I'm no longer seeing "[Filename (path)]" as one of the available fields.  I do see "[Filename (name)], but the "path" version does not appear in the dropdown list.

Thanks for looking into this,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Newer Library Server not working with [Filename(path)] rule.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 09:40:00 pm »

I just tried using the "location" and "filename" rules instead of the [Filename (path)] rule), but it still has the same problem.  The client cannot see any files as long as any of these rules is used on the server.

Larry

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 09:59:11 pm »

This is not a well-received development on my home network either.

View schemes that have overlaps in defining strings aren't going to be able to use a field other than filename.

I guess we could create viewschemes based on Genre but I don't want that on the parent machine.

If we load a library we should get the View Schemes defined on it...it's technically not a "library" browser right now as that implies seperate volumes i.e. view schemes.

Dr. C

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 10:10:16 pm »

I'm not following everything you said -- I think we're using the filename rule in different ways.  The bottom line, however, is that it worked before, and now it doesn't.  I just checked MC11.0, and it uses the regular "D:\Audio Library\" naming convention rather than "D^3a^5cAudio^20Library^5c" etc.  This is apparently the crux of the problem -- it renders any sort of "path" rules unuseable if you want to use Media Server.

Is there any chance that we will see the return of this functionality (i.e. the way MC11.0 and earlier worked?)  Or... is there some other way to create a rule that references file paths that will work on BOTH the server AND the client?

Thanks,

Larry

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 11:59:04 am »

We're using it the same way; my view schemes on my main PC use the [filename]= (actually it appears you can just enter the disk location)...I have about 7-8 and the client won't display my view schemes. Matt said to use a field and filename is a field that appears for me as Z:\Audio Archive..... so the client can't read whatever translation MC is doing.

I could use genre names to define the view schemes, but I don't on my main pc because that's not what I want. I only use one for an particular artist. We're not going to manually enter in 1,000+ artists and we shouldn't have to start tweaking our libraries and view schemes so client machines can see them.

Dr. C
Pages: [1]   Go Up