INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audioscrobbler plug-in  (Read 17018 times)

Pink Waters

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Finally I understand the feelings of the few
Re: Audioscrobbler plug-in
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2006, 04:39:43 pm »

there already are people using the plug-in regardless of how crappy it is
since most MC implemented features are requested from public and thats how mc is getting better, any other change should be asked out for comment from public before taking any action...

anyway.. I am going to stick with iTunes till this issue is clear.
Tamer

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2006, 02:00:08 am »

FYI, I did eventually get an ID and there is AS support in PN ... it's just disabled due to the problems they were having at the time (their database was down so I couldn't fully test it).

PN tries to be clever and saves the history to a file if it cannot talk to the AS website, so at least you don't lose your history if you cannot connect for whatever reason.

Looks like it's time to ressurect this ...

lOth

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2006, 02:17:16 am »

rhinobanga,

I'm really glad to see you getting involved in this conversation :)

A couple observations:

AS support within PN would suit me well as I am a PN registered user but my guess is that there are lots of people out there who would be interested in a separate plug-in that would focus on AS only. How painful would it be to write a new separate plug-in?

PN tries to be clever and saves the history to a file if it cannot talk to the AS website, so at least you don't lose your history if you cannot connect for whatever reason.

Any chance one could use this to cache playcounts coming from a portable device and send them to last.fm?

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2006, 06:33:00 am »

Hi lOth,

How painful would it be to write a new separate plug-in?

It wouldn't be too hard to do but I wouldn't even contemplate it until it all works within PN.

Any chance one could use this to cache playcounts coming from a portable device and send them to last.fm?

That'd be a lot of work as it would have to take a snapshot of the current playcounts for all your tracks and then after you've sync'd it would have to look for differences ... unless someone knows of a better way of doing it?

lOth

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2006, 07:40:05 am »

It wouldn't be too hard to do but I wouldn't even contemplate it until it all works within PN.

Fair enough.

That'd be a lot of work as it would have to take a snapshot of the current playcounts for all your tracks and then after you've sync'd it would have to look for differences ... unless someone knows of a better way of doing it?

I don't know about other portable players but in the case of iPods there would be no need to compare such snapshots of the entire library. I think (please someone confirm this) you "just" have to get the data you want to send to last.fm from the play counts file found in the [iPod drive letter]\iPod_Control\iTunes\ folder.
Of course, if MC is set to sync playcounts with the iPod you'd need to get this data before MC resets the file (actually, I think MC just deletes the file once it's extracted and synced the playcounts).

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
  • So many worlds, so much to do, so little done...
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2006, 01:26:01 pm »

With the last two builds, when I get about halfway through the first song in the playlist, Media Center shuts down and gives me an application error.  It would seem to have something to do with the iteration of the plays counter, but I'm not sure if that's just coincidental.

Has anyone else had this trouble ?

lOth

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2006, 02:21:17 pm »

do you have the audioscrobbler plug-in installed?

If so, have a look there:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31995.0

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
  • So many worlds, so much to do, so little done...
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2006, 02:50:17 pm »

I do.  And somehow, the username and password got deleted.  Reloaded those and it works perfectly now.

Thanks a lot!

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2006, 02:17:13 am »

I've started seeing this in the last build.  Every now and then MC crashes and upon restart my audioscrobbler settings are reset to default :'(

In the other thread, according to Matt, "it turned out to be an audioscrobbler problem" but funny how the only thing to change, which caused the problem, was MC  ?

I hope this issue goes away soon.

Mark

lOth

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2006, 03:01:20 am »

I hope this issue goes away soon.

I hope so too, but unfortunately, as the plug-in didn't start mutating on its own, the issue won't go away on its own, and since the author of the plug-in has stopped working on it, the fix can only come from some intended change in a new MC build. Unfortunately too, since JRiver's take on this is that the audioscrobbler plug-in is a third-party plug-in they won't spend any time fixing this issue even though it appeared as a result of some recent changes in MC itself.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2006, 06:47:03 am »

The Audioscrobbler problem has been around for a long time.  It's not an MC problem.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2006, 06:48:48 am »

Except the latest builds of MC have done something to break it further  :'(

lOth

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2006, 07:56:01 am »

The Audioscrobbler problem has been around for a long time.  It's not an MC problem.

Generally speaking, there have been problems with this plug-in for a long time, everyone agrees on this. What I, and it seems many others have started seeing is a new specific problem since build 11.1.120 : never before have I seen my username and password being reset randomly (this is what causes a crash I had never seen before either), never before have I seen an audioscrobbler.ini file being created right on my desktop.

I sincerely do understand JRiver's point of view on this: JRiver is not the author of the plug-in, you shouldn't have to waste time fixing an issue that's not your responsibility. Fair enough. But "it's not an MC problem" is a bit of a stretch, because it really looks like recent changes in MC 11.1 caused, in part, the problem. What you could say is "we realize this is a problem for many MC users, but we consider this is not JRiver's problem". That'd be more accurate and users would feel less in the dark as to what to expect on this particular issue.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2006, 10:08:05 am »

I would not support a J River-specific copy of LastFM.  Why start a whole new service when a free one is already available?  Furthermore, the reason LastFM works so well is because of the community surrounding it.  J River Media Center is a very small segment of that total community and I would hate to loose the variety of music represented at LastFM by shrinking the total user count to only those of us running MC.

The better solution is to get a properly working plug-in for LastFM on MC.  If I were J River I would release an official plug-in (or at least sponsor the creation of such a plug-in).  I don't understand why they don't just do it.  Judging by the talent at J River they could probably have an excellent plug-in up and running in a few hours.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2006, 10:23:08 am »

rhinobanga,

I will buy a license to your playing now plug-in the very moment you announce LastFM support is up and running.  Thanks so much for taking this project on. 

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2006, 05:14:45 am »

rhinobanga,

I will buy a license to your playing now plug-in the very moment you announce LastFM support is up and running.  Thanks so much for taking this project on. 

Just bought a license :)

Maybe you should consider taking donations if you make a stand-alone last.fm plugin.

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2006, 08:31:05 am »

Maybe you should consider taking donations if you make a stand-alone last.fm plugin.

You have my donation if you do...

Pink Waters

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2006, 11:21:08 am »

You have my donation if you do...
Me as well
Tamer

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2006, 03:39:56 pm »

Hi All,

There'd be no point in taking donations since the price of PN is so small anyway.   Some good news though ... I've nearly got AS support up and running ... http://www.jdnet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2006, 04:21:20 pm »

Hi All,

There'd be no point in taking donations since the price of PN is so small anyway.   Some good news though ... I've nearly got AS support up and running ... http://www.jdnet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120

What i ment was if you were going to make a "free" plugin without playing now. The price on PN is just fine by me.
In fact I think that I bought it  a couple of years ago, and then for the second time today :)

LonWar

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2006, 04:55:13 pm »

thanks for your effort Jammie.... I look forward to playing with it.

-

Marty3d

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2006, 05:19:14 pm »

With the last two builds, when I get about halfway through the first song in the playlist, Media Center shuts down and gives me an application error.  It would seem to have something to do with the iteration of the plays counter, but I'm not sure if that's just coincidental.

Has anyone else had this trouble ?
Yes. I solved it by
1. Enable the plugin
2. Exit MC
3. Restart MC

Then it worked :)

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2006, 11:59:31 am »

The alpha of PN v1.3 with AS support is available: http://www.jdnet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=759#759

lOth

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2006, 02:02:17 pm »

The alpha of PN v1.3 with AS support is available: http://www.jdnet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=759#759

you're the man.

maybe we should have some sort of "let's ditch that old audioscrobbler plug-in!" party.

We just have to hope that a new 11.1 build won't break the shiny new PN. I doubt it can happen, but hey, if it does I guess you're responsible ;)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2006, 03:12:43 am »

Thank you so much!  You have saved Media Center for me!  I could not use a player which didn't support LastFM somehow and now we have a viable alternative to the old plugin.

Cheers,

Mark

Pink Waters

« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2006, 03:55:26 am »

Thanks RhinoBanga
Tamer

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2006, 06:00:11 pm »

Works a treat!

Thanks!!!

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2006, 12:36:53 am »

PlayingNow ROCKS!!!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2006, 12:46:08 am »

it does indeed.

I'm not sure about using one of the 'medium' skins as a forum sig though. I feel they're a shade too large for that, Imagine how things would look and load if everyone used one.

If there's nothing on the 'slim skin' pages that catches your eye, perhaps I could make a 'slim' version of medium-black for you to use instead?

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2006, 09:00:01 am »

it does indeed.

I'm not sure about using one of the 'medium' skins as a forum sig though. I feel they're a shade too large for that, Imagine how things would look and load if everyone used one.

If there's nothing on the 'slim skin' pages that catches your eye, perhaps I could make a 'slim' version of medium-black for you to use instead?

Very true.  I run a forum and hate when people use gigantic sig pics.  I would love a slim skin with a larger thumbnail--one that almost takes up the vertical size.  I tried changing the thumb type in the INI but they were either too big or too small.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up