INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11.1 Advanced View Scheme problem  (Read 1822 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC 11.1 Advanced View Scheme problem
« on: February 28, 2006, 07:04:36 pm »

My "Advanced" root View Scheme disappeared, taking all it's children with it.  I know I saw that this was done, but I thought it was supposed to stick around if you already had one.  Mine didn't.

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MC 11.1 "Disk Location" View Scheme Changes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 07:16:58 pm »

I would still like to know why my Advanced root View Scheme disappeared when it wasn't supposed to do that!

Where was this stated? At some stage I lost my root view schemes too (which were under the main Media Library branch before it was removed).

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC 11.1 "Advanced" View Scheme Obliterated
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 07:21:07 pm »

Actually.  I just learned something really interesting.

MC obliterates any Root View scheme you create called "Advanced" every time you close out of the application.  I just spent some time recreating my old Advanced view scheme.  When I closed MC and re-opened it, it was gone.

If you name the scheme something else, it's fine, but it destroys anything called "Advanced".

As far as when it was said...

It should be there on upgrade.  If you reset your view schemes (or do a fresh install), it's gone.

The advanced items were merged into the appropriate media types. (i.e. Played CDs for audio CDs, Played DVDs for DVDs, etc.)

It was in your "Media Library in MC 11.1" thread.

I don't know when MC started obliterating the Advanced view scheme on close, but I'm going to have trouble recreating it since I don't know how to view what used to be in it.  I guess I might have to install MC 11.0 on another machine and load up an old Library.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 07:30:19 pm »

This new bug also adds to the frustration because I've always had the "Advanced" root view scheme sorted in the Tree just above Imports (the top of the ones below "Video").

I can't get it to sort there anymore when using the "Scheme Group" icon.  If I use the "Folder" icon, it goes there, but if I use the "Scheme Group" icon, it sorts to the top of the Tree.

Since the Tree Position drop down box is now blank, I can't fix it.  The already-defined View Schemes obviously obey the Tree Position rule, as my Imports root scheme is still using the "Scheme Group" icon, but still sorts below Video.

What happened?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 07:40:50 pm »

Oh, and how did you get the CD stuff to all sort into the CD Database entry?

Some nifty stuff there I suspect.  Is your "All Media" view scheme the Disk Location preset, or did you use some trickery to make it look like it is, when it's not (by manually creating separate children View Schemes for each drive you use)?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 07:50:45 pm »

Actually. I just learned something really interesting.

MC obliterates any Root View scheme you create called "Advanced" every time you close out of the application. I just spent some time recreating my old Advanced view scheme. When I closed MC and re-opened it, it was gone.

If you name the scheme something else, it's fine, but it destroys anything called "Advanced".

As far as when it was said...

It was in your "Media Library in MC 11.1" thread.

I don't know when MC started obliterating the Advanced view scheme on close, but I'm going to have trouble recreating it since I don't know how to view what used to be in it. I guess I might have to install MC 11.0 on another machine and load up an old Library.

Oh I see. Most likely it is because the name "Advanced" was one of the removed default items. Probably MC11.1 has an automatic function for that.

I guess installing MC11.0 is the only solution for checking what your old view schemes contained unless the JRiver guys are willing to change the behavior.

Or...

You could unzip an older library backup file and try to edit the jmd files that contain the word "Advanced", like the files "browser.jmd" and "view state (index).jmd". After editing you could try to restrore the backup into a new empty library.

From the 11.1.133 thread:
I have no idea how long it has been like this, but in the Edit View Scheme dialog box, under "Step 3" the Tree Position drop down box is empty now (which makes it pretty unusable).  What's the story (I use this feature)?

It is not empty in MC11.1.131. Bug in 133? (I have not installed it yet.)

Oh, and how did you get the CD stuff to all sort into the CD Database entry?

Some nifty stuff there I suspect. Is your "All Media" view scheme the Disk Location preset, or did you use some trickery to make it look like it is, when it's not (by manually creating separate children View Schemes for each drive you use)?

Topic: How-to: add All Media & CD database to the tree
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 07:56:26 pm »

The auto-upgrader isn't behaving too nicely if you name a view scheme "Advanced."  We'll take a look.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC 11.1 Advanced View Scheme Problem
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 08:04:04 pm »

Thanks Matt.

Alex -

First, I am running build 133, so the "Tree Position" thing could be brand new.

One last thing.  When I followed your instructions in that thread, I had to modify it a little bit to get it to work as you have it in the screenshot.  Probably just didn't update the other thread, but I figured I'd ask...

I had to add a search to the parent "All Media" scheme that was "Not Removable = 1" and then configure the child "CD Database" scheme to not obey Parent Searches.  Is this what you now have to maintain the same functionality?

Or is mine different?

(Also, the "This Folder" is missing, but I think I remember that being removed.)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MC 11.1 Advanced View Scheme problem
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 08:42:34 pm »

I had to add a search to the parent "All Media" scheme that was "Not Removable = 1" and then configure the child "CD Database" scheme to not obey Parent Searches.  Is this what you now have to maintain the same functionality?

The X,Y & Z drives are not removable. They are my main media drives that can accessed from any PC on the LAN. I can use identical MC libraries on each PC:

After I made the instructions & screenshot I have moved the CD database to the root so it has no parent anymore. The All Media scheme contains only those three drives.

Also, the "This Folder" is missing, but I think I remember that being removed.

I have the "This Folder" tree item in 131.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC 11.1 Advanced View Scheme problem
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 09:55:43 pm »

I have the "This Folder" tree item in 131.

Hmm... That's odd.  I do not have the This Folder tree item in any of my View Schemes.  Is this an option (and if so where)?  What does that item contain?

I even loaded a different library and reset it to defaults (and tried creating a brand new fresh library), recreated the All Media item and it still wasn't there.  I also tried different skins just in case...

The X,Y & Z drives are not removable. They are my main media drives that can accessed from any PC on the LAN. I can use identical MC libraries on each PC

Yes.  I do too.  In fact, my drive M (main media drive) and N (new media drive) both live on the network RAID5 volume (which lives on my Linux box).  My drive T (for TiVo -- my DVR recording drive) works similar to yours, is local on the HTPC and network with same letter on the other machines.  The removable option I was referring to hides the removable media.  If I just use the default Disk Location View Scheme preset, I get a huge list of removable discs (DVD-Rs and CD-Rs full of video files mostly, but CDA audio files too) in addition to my actual hard drives.  This is (of course) less than ideal.

I realize now that you probably don't have much removable media imported into your library itself (if any).  Maybe that's why yours doesn't work that way.  In order to have a nice usable list, I have to add a search to the "All Media" view scheme.

Code: [Select]
[Removable]==0
or

Code: [Select]
[-[Removable]==1(meaning, not Removable = 1)

And then I need to tell the Child "CD Database" scheme to not obey it's parent's search.  This works fine as long as I don't need to put the whole thing underneath another search (which I don't so it is a moot point).

Pages: [1]   Go Up