INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server and Problems With Hash Marks (#)  (Read 692 times)

gunoo

• Recent member
Media Server and Problems With Hash Marks (#)
« on: March 05, 2006, 03:06:55 pm »

Hello,

Apologies if this is a known issue, I ran a few search queries and didn't find anything mentioning this, so...

This weekend I set up an old laptop out by my living room stereo to act as a "jukebox," streaming music from my desktop computer in the den using Media Server.

Overall, I'm very pleased so far. It works great with my combination of WMA, MP3, and M4A files (I'm especially happy with the improved M4A handling in Media Center 11.1). However I was noticing a curious problem. Anything involving a hash mark (#) refused to play through the client Media Center (these same files play fine on the Desktop).

This would happen if the album title had a hash mark (i.e. "Elvis 30 #1 Hits") or if the song title had a hash mark (i.e. "#1 Crush"). I also noticed that album art images would not come through if they were affiliated with albums that had hash marks in the title.

Upon further investigation, it turned out that during the CD ripping process, these particular files had been named according to the online CD database information; thus the paths and filenames also had hash marks. I found that if I changed the paths and/or filenames and omitted the hash marks, then refreshed the database on the client side, the playback problem would be corrected.

Since I evidently only have 80 files (out of 10536) that exhibit this problem, I will simply rename them myself. I should also note that many of my files were not ripped with Media Center. Perhaps Media Center would have omitted the hash marks from the filenames automatically?

Just thought I would point this out. Regards-
Pages: [1]   Go Up