INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Half Speed after conversion?  (Read 1106 times)

savkar

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Half Speed after conversion?
« on: March 06, 2006, 06:58:54 am »

Hi.

For my son I have been pulling some audio tracks from a couple of DVDs I have, creating wav files (using mplayer on my linux box) and then converting them using Media Center to mp3s.  I then try to use my audiotron to play them back on my stereo.

Very bizzare result though-- if I play with mediacenter or with any other software, the playback is normal.

However, if I use the audiotron, the playback is half speed and sounds horrific.  It plays but just as if I slowed things down.

Any ideas how to correct for this?  Why does mediacenter have no problems but my audiotron does?

Thanks in advance.

Sunil

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Half Speed after conversion?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 07:48:17 am »

What is the format of the source wave files (sample rate, bit depth, number of channels) and what MP3 encoding setting you used?

I searched for the Audiotron specs. Turtle Beach claims that it supports many sample rates: 44.1/32/22.05/16/11.025/8 Khz, but not 48 kHz.

Since audio on video DVDs is usually 48 kHz the MP3 files are also 48 kHz in case you didn't resample at any stage. Did you try an uncompressed wave file with Audiotron?

MC has a high quality resampler. If the wave files are 48 kHz you could play them through MC's Disk Writer before encoding to MP3 (Tools > Options > Playback > Audio > Output Mode > Disk Writer).

Select
- "Brake output into individual tracks" in Output Mode Settings
- "Output Format > Sample Rate > 44.100 kHz" in DSP & output format (unselect the other options here)
- "Gapless" in Settings > Switch tracks

Unselect
- "Do not play silence (leading and trailing)"
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

savkar

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 08:18:53 am »

Ahaaaaa!!!  That was it!

Now back to the drawing board for me.  I need to figure out if I can resample on the fly.

Thanks soooo much!

What I'd really like to do is use MediaCenter to rip the audio files off of the DVD, but I couldn't see a way to do this unless you have a method I didn't realize.  So for now I have been using my linux system to do it.

If you think there is another option, I'd absolutely love to hear it.

Cheers.

Sunil

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 08:33:54 am »

LAME has a command line switch for resampling: --resample 44.1. If you used for example VBR High (--preset standard) try --preset standard --resample 44.1 instead.

I mentioned MC's disk writer because MC has a high quality Shibatch resampler, but you may find LAME's resampling good enough.

Check this site for Windows DVD video & audio ripping guides: http://www.doom9.org/

Edit:

BTW, the Disk Writer output does not work at standard playback speed (1x). It writes the output as fast as your system can process it.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

savkar

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 09:30:49 am »

Cool/thanks.  For now the easiest thing for me is to use MediaCenter after I rip to wav files.

Actually mplayer itself seems to have the ability to resample but I honestly don't know what the quality is of the resampling, so I'll stick to either lame or MC.

Out of curiousity, do you know why the AVI files I produce from my linux system do not play on mediacenter or windows media player?

Looks like something related to the codec-- I am a total newbie in this area so I can't claim to know what is going on, but windows media player in particular complains about a missing codec needed to play back the avi.

Just surprised.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 09:48:23 am »

AVI files can be compressed with various codecs. You may want to install the FFDShow Direct Show filter pack. It contains codecs for most usual formats. More info is at the Doom9 site.
Pages: [1]   Go Up