INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Three column view / movable elements?  (Read 4121 times)

mountainfair

• Recent member
Three column view / movable elements?
« on: February 20, 2006, 09:26:58 pm »

I am brand new to MC, and so I dont know if this is a question of how to do this or a feature request.  I searched the forums but didnt find any recent posts on this.

First, I would just like to say that I have tried all of the audio/mp3 programs out there that I could over that last two months, and MC is the best.  Few others even come close. 

To make MC even better, I would like to see a three column view, where the left colum was the navigation (as it is now), the middle column is the browser/file list and the right column is the now playing. 

EDIT:

Here is a photoshop'd image of what I would consider the ideal layout (with each element movable, scalable, interchangeable, closable, minimizable):

Larger version:

http://www.dreamthefuture.org/forward/misc/jriver-media-center-ideal-lg.jpg

/EDIT

I have been playing with the program and options / split view for a while and cant figure out how to do this, or how to rearrange the various elements of the program on the screen.   

It doesnt seem possible to choose and move the elements around the screen, but this would be a great feature.

Several other programs that I have tried out do this, but they dont come close to MC in other areas (particularly browsing and thumbnails and flexibility).  Media monkey is very flexible in enabling you to choose and move elements around, but doesnt support thumbnails, and doesnt have the flexibility or skins or support for other media that MC does.

Here is a screen shot of one of the programs that I tried that has a three column view (not exactly what I describe, but close, and this program doesnt let you move the elements around like others):

http://helium-music-manager.com/images/general/2006large.png

Another area where it would be great to move and customize elements is in the 'Now Playing' set display area.  Why not have customizable mini 'windows' that you can rearrange with visualizations, track info, cover art, tag info AND the artist info from the web feature (this is a GREAT feature, and would be even better if it could be more integrated in this way). 

The best would be if all of these elements in the entire program were independent, and you could choose which you wanted to see, how big each was and how you wanted to arrange them by dragging them around the screen and adjusting the lines between them.

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Three column view / movable elements?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 09:47:13 pm »

Mt--
Welcome.  If you're still on 30-day trial, I think you'll find MC will meet or exceed your expectations.  Like you, I went through all the major players and felt Media Monkey came the closest, until I discovered MC.  FWIW, Matt Ashland, one of MC's chief audio gurus, developed the APE format used in MM. 

Those of us who really love MC, love it so much we can't stand its few imperfections, and our rants fill the pages of this forum.  Rest assured, MC is the greatest media manager on the planet. 

That said, I agree with you on the split views.  And yes, it is a feature request.  There is currently no way to do vertical split views, or to tack down any particular view, or to move them around.  Any search will search all views, even Playing now.  I'm guessing this is because seperating the views would require initializing seperate db engines, with 2X the CPU overhead.

JRiver just wrapped up a rewiring of their GUI, with the main focus being to simplify.  So your requests may have to wait for MC12.  Note that there is an MC12 feature request thread, currently on page 512.

As for MC's glaring imperfections,  my approach to dealing with them is the same approach I apply to imperfections I identify in myself:  sit down on the couch and slap on some great music.  And if the beer fridge is raided in the process--well, these things happen!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 10:04:05 pm »

Using this gives you a simple little "Playing Now" list that's always visible and always available as a drop target:

Action Window > Build Playlist > Edit Playing Now
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mountainfair

• Recent member
Track info html templates
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 11:23:59 pm »

OK,

I just discovered the track info pages html templates.

Are people customizing these?  Anyone wanna share?  Is there a way to submit them for future releases?

This is sort of a not-so-user friendly approach to what I was talking about in my first post.  Better if you could just drag the vis, file info and other elements around or have a menu system for customization.  I guess that having an underlying html file is more customizable and a good thing, but many people arent gonna be able to edit html, or like me my copy of dreamweaver just crashed and had to be uninstalled, and text editing the templates doesnt sound super fun.

Jgreen - Thanks for the welcome.  I agree that this is best program out there so far and that we have to have patience with its quirks.  Just trying to add my two cents and help improve things.

mountainfair

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 11:29:07 pm »

Matt -

Thanks for this tip.  Its kind of a stand in solution.

I still want to be able to move this around the screen. 

I want it to be independent of other functions in the action window - when I browse my albums by genre thumbs, then click on files, I want to see the thumb for the album on the side AND have a now playing list up. 

It is cool that you can have multiple actions up, but only one can be maximized and the rest are minimized.  This would work great if you could choose to minimize, mazimize or close any of them, and to move and place them anywhere on the screen.

Anyway, dont mean to knock your help - thanks again. 

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 12:19:10 am »

To bring up something that always makes me hide the left 'navigation view' is that when changing views in the library, the tree view always moves in and out making it very disorienting and making the temporary playing now get really small because there isn't enough room left from the tree expanding.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 01:34:16 am »

Hmm, helium has an interesting way of handling views, note the cascaded windows. They also got half star ratings too :o

We have been so used to seeing and working with tree + action window + playing now, in the locations they currently are that the thought of re-arranging them has not occurred as yet.

Could you explain how you would re-order things, or is it the way you have been used to working with upto now and would like MC to do the same.

It's hard to say one is better than the other, more like what you are used to working with.

mountainfair

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 03:13:01 am »

How would I reorder things?

good question.  First, I'd say that the most important request is to be able to rearrange things, because different people will have different preferences.

Me, Id have three columns, the one on the left with the tree (like it is now), the one in the middle with the browser (as it is now), and the one on the right with the playing now list, visualizations, file info and the artist info (bio) from the web.  Maybe Id drag the now playing list to the bottom of the middle column....

Yes the bio info is important as marko points out, and though MC wins big points for the AMG linkage, it could be much better integrated.

So you get the now playing, visuals, and file info ON THE SAME SCREEN with everything else without having to click on something in the tree.  Would be cool if you could move, minimize or close all of the elements in any of the tree views.  That way you can minimize an element and then maximize it when you need it without losing it in-between. 

The action window sort of works this way now.

Media monkey actually lets you move the songtitle and progress bar element around the screen also, and I think it would be a great idea to have ALL of the elements moveable/changeable like this, though that one in particular I would probably not move.

Here is the default media monkey setup (but you can drag all of the elements around):

http://www.mediamonkey.com/Assets/images/mmpanel.gif

here is a screen shot with things moved around differently:

http://home.tiscali.be/ruben.castelein/MM/MM140205.gif

Niether of these are exactly how I would set it up, but they offer some ideas.

Winamp is sort of the ultimate example of this, but IMHO takes it to far and the separate elements arent cohesive enough and dont stick together.

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 05:23:11 am »

Mountainfair,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your input.

Are you familiar with split views in Media Center? You can have the tree on your left and split the right view in 2 or even 3 different views; for instance the upper one with the library view/browser and the lower one with the Playing Now list + visualizations.

Yo may have the tree on your left view, the PN list displayed in the action vindow on the lower left (as Matt explained), the AMG info of the current artist on the upper right view, a visualization in the middle right view and the library view/browser on the lower right view.... and you can change any moment what you display in any of the split views.

Try to experiment with split views and you'll get the idea.

Hope it helps.

[EDIT] I forgot that the AMG info opens now in an explorer window instead of inside MC as it used to, so you're no longer able to have that info inside an MC view

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 07:16:28 am »

Using this gives you a simple little "Playing Now" list that's always visible and always available as a drop target:

Also, it is possible to set the display in windowed mode:

Click to enlarge (295 KB)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 07:49:32 am »

Me, Id have three columns, the one on the left with the tree (like it is now), the one in the middle with the browser (as it is now), and the one on the right with the playing now list, visualizations, file info and the artist info (bio) from the web.  Maybe Id drag the now playing list to the bottom of the middle column....
At this point i wonder whether the middle column is wide enough to display enough panes. One of the reasons it's the way it is top right, is that you can select any amount of panes to go with a viewscheme. As you add more panes, you run out of space. Once you get used to panes they can be incredibly powerful as a way to display just what you want. That is of course if you like panes at all.

I guess for it to work the way you want it, would require a pretty wide screen.

Yes the bio info is important as marko points out, and though MC wins big points for the AMG linkage, it could be much better integrated.

So you get the now playing, visuals, and file info ON THE SAME SCREEN with everything else without having to click on something in the tree.
At which point we face the balancing act of having just enough or looking too busy.

Would be cool if you could move, minimize or close all of the elements in any of the tree views.  That way you can minimize an element and then maximize it when you need it without losing it in-between. 
If you mean bios or lyrics, i wonder whether that sort of thing can be done with a floating window. Maybe a shortcut to bring it up, that way its always a shorcut away and upto date. I don't use either atm so don't miss it.

But trying to fit it in as a docked window will be tricky, cascaded like in helium hmm..so its actually behind another one..might work. maybe a tabbed area just above playing now. There are vis schemes that try to do that atm i think.

One thing i would have liked with split screens is if it were possible to have another customised by column content pane area. That way if i wanted to copy a list of albums i could simply open the 2nd content pane which would ahve just one column [Album] and copy paste that elsewhere. Its not possible to copy+paste from the top panes atm i think.

Split views the way it is currently creates another copy of panes & content area which is independant of the other.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 09:37:41 am »

A new day a new unfound feature =)

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 09:40:28 am »

Hey Alex B, impressed with your screenshot, couple of questions:

1. how are you getting the artist/albums thumbnail view?, not seeing
    a way to do this.

2. i can get get playlist to stick by doing the edit playing now trick but how
   does one then get the image to display at the same time?, i can do one
   or the other but not both, isn't getting the image to display full time in
   the action window the unachieveable holy grail?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TC  :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 10:37:37 am »

1. Explained here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30774.0

2. It is the main MC display in Windowed mode. I just resized and placed it in that location.

This is needed:
Options > General > Interface > Minimize to system tray > disabled

This may be useful:
Options > Playback > Display settings > Windowed mode 'Always on Top'

There used to be a right-click (on the display) menus for the Windowed mode and for the display options in MC11.0. I really miss them.

Currently, I have to first enable the windowed mode from the View menu (there is a shortcut, but I cannot remember all shortcuts) and if I need to change the display options I usually have to click several items in the options dialog before I find the display options again.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mountainfair

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 08:24:26 pm »

Well,

First some replies, then lots of new ideas:

Deivit - thanks for the welcome and the ideas.  I played with split views.  Interesting.  Im not sure how this is useful - maybe if you want to compare two folders, one in each pane?  Ah - yes thats what is says its for in the help file.

Otherwise, because they are both totally independent and controlled by the tree, they arent very useful.  If the top panel had thumbnails and the bottom had a detailed list, and they were linked so that when you clicked on the thumbnail it took you to the same point in the list, maybe that would be useful. 

Or maybe it would be useful if there were a 'lock' option on each frame so that you could say, set the bottom frame to be playing now and the top frame to browse your media, but whenever you clicked on the tree it would only change the top frame, even if the bottom frame was active. 

In the end, I think that these multiple views are useful only for organizing files, and that really what we need is independent elements that can be rearranged, resized, minimized and drop into place.  Maybe this sort of 'lock' feature would be useful to consider when implementing these independent elements, so that you could have setting for which element the tree controlled and how, etc.

Alex - thanks for the screenshot.  Are you using two panes?  How is it that the bottom pane doesnt have the top bar with the panes/genres/etc and options drop downs?

I discovered the show alphabet option as a result - fantastic!.  Wish it would show up on the same line as the albums/panes and options line instead of moving everything down, though.

Your screen shot approaches what i would ideally want, but with the tree included also.  Currently, the windowed view is kind of a cheating way to get what I am talking about - it sits on top of all other windows and stays there even when you minimize the main MC.  Maybe cheating is the wrong word - it doesnt seem to be designed to do what i am talking about.

Your link to the other thread was very promising in that it showed how much the developers listen to ideas and feedback, and how quickly things can change.

hit_ny -

I hear you about the question of 'is there enough room', and 'will it be too busy'. 

I am working on a 15" wide monitor, so that may make a difference, but it is the same width as the 19" desktop monitor next to me.

Essentially, I feel it would be best if each individual could decide for themselves: Dont implement a static three columns, but have independent elements that you can drag around and drop in anwhere would accomplish this - you could choose to have two, three, four, more colums of elements if you wished, arranged in any order.  Size, drag and place the tree, playing now, file browser window, cover art, or *whatever* element you want *anywhere* you want within the MC screen.  Mediamonkey does this for some of its elements - give the demo a try if you dont understand what I am talking about, and try moving the playing now or progress bar around the screen.  Or think of winamp with all of the elements that you can rearrange and resize, except that I think that you should still have the overall MC window to work inside of instead of the totally free-form winamp approach that is too disjointed imho. The best would be if you could do this for all of the elements, or have different element settings for each item in the tree.  You could then set up each item in the tree with its own custom set of elements and element placement, which are minimized/max'd and define how they interact with eachother. 

This part of letting the user define how elements interact could be very powerful.  Just consider the possibilities! 

Then, I might choose to have three columns, you might have two, others might have four or show eight accross multiple screens. 

In the end, we can leave the 'column' concept behind, and let different elements be different widths, with no straight or defined column or row lines, just the jigsaw puzzle of how each individual places and sizes the elements in each tree view.  Stepping further, let the user difine how the elements interact and effect eachother.

In this case maybe you place your panes element to stretch accross the top from the tree to the right edge.  Below, if you have a large enough screen, you could have the file list in the middle and the now playing list and now playing art to the right of it, underneath the panes.  Or, use your imagnination...

Or someone else's if you could export your element arrangements for others to try out, or to avoid losing them in an upgrade...

Of course defualt installation could come with presets that work reasonably well so that you dont have to build one before you start.  In fact, the presets could look exactly as it is now.

Maybe even something in the options menu to switch on and off element editing mode, enabling you to lock down the elements and arrangement once you have them the way you like them...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 02:12:27 am »

Of course defualt installation could come with presets that work reasonably well so that you dont have to build one before you start.  In fact, the presets could look exactly as it is now.
This part needs more work on, MC atm does not currently save every customisation that is made, necessitating extra work each time an upgrade is made (ie Navigation tool). I'd say this is the biggest reason that customisations are kept to the bare essentials.  If customisations, especially layouts were saved, it might make for some interesting skins + layouts that ppl could share.

Looking at the screen grabs above made me think its common to work in two modes, one is a tagging one or Standard View, where you want to see all relevant fields to be tagged + Action Window vs the playing mode where you just want to be able to browse quickly and only have few fields present like what Alex posted above. I guess if there was a way to save the layout then it could be trivial to switch between these 2 views.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 03:49:27 am »

I think the sort of customization MountainFair is on about
may allow for the idea I had here.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31656.0

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 05:04:33 am »

Thing is split views atm are completely independant of each other, i think to do what you want would require some kind of sync between the different split views.

mountainfair

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 07:38:42 pm »

Mr ChriZ -

Yes, this is exactly the sort of thing that I am talking about - each person could customize how the elements interacted/effected eachother.  This is a great example of what you could do with such a system, and I feel it could go much further (will have to get back to you with some specific ideas).

I'd love to see the artist view extended to be able to do the following
idea

Especially when i have the money to buy a fair sized screen  :)

Please have a play with the artist view in MC 11.1 as it is with the files
shown at the bottom before rejecting the idea  :)

mountainfair

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006, 04:02:59 am »

Any chance that this will be incorporated in to future builds?

mountainfair

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 08:49:44 pm »

Alex - thank you for all of your help and continued replies.

Your image comes close, but still has the floating window that is pretty unwieldy.  Its the best possibility with current limitations of the program.

Again, here is a photoshop'd image of what I would consider the ideal layout (with each element movable, scalable, interchangeable, closable, minimizable):

Larger version:

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 10:01:29 pm »

Alex - thank you for all of your help and continued replies.

Your image comes close, but still has the floating window that is pretty unwieldy.  Its the best possibility with current limitations of the program.

Here is a photoshop'd image of what I would consider the ideal layout (with each element movable, scalable, interchangeable, closable, minimizable):

Larger version:

Verygood !!!

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 10:59:50 pm »

Does anyone have an old copy of the concept.jpg file in this thread?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=10423.0

I would have loved to have seen what that looked like!
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball
Pages: [1]   Go Up