INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I get multi-choice people on digital photos?  (Read 2433 times)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
How do I get multi-choice people on digital photos?
« on: March 11, 2006, 08:35:45 am »

OK, the scenario is this: I have 3500+ digital photos that I want to be able to find any combination of persons fast, like all photos with Mastiff, Hobbit (my dog) and my wife. I know I can create one user field for each person, but we're talking about maybe 30 different people/people groups. I tried creating one tag for each combination of persons in the "People" tag, but the problem is that those tags are getting too caothic. Would the best way to do it be to have maybe 5 people tags (People 1, People 2 and so on)with a defined list that's the same for them all and then choose for each of the persons (there's rarely more than five individuals/groups in a picture. Or is there a better way?
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

michel

Re: How do I get multi-choice people on digital photos?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 08:48:33 am »

The field 'people' is "semi-colon delimited" so you can put several persons, each one separated by a ";".

To find a particular combination you set a search rule on 'people' in wizzard mode and you select all persons of the combination. You can also save this search rule as a smartlist.

"semi-colon delimited" field is a powerful feature of MC, I use it also for audio 'style' (from allmusic.com styles).

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 09:20:37 am »

OK, that's probably a way to do it, yes. It's just that it gets so messy, with some fields "Mastiff;Hobbit,Mrs. Mastiff" and others "Hobbit;Mrs. Mastiff;Mastiff" and a few other combinations. So I was hoping for something easier. Of course the best would be a multi-choice field with radio buttons, but I konw that doesn't excist...

michel

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 09:39:51 am »

"Mastiff;Hobbit;Mrs. Mastiff" or "Hobbit;Mrs. Mastiff;Mastiff" are equivalent since a "semi-colon delimited" field is not "order sensitive" so you don't have to worry about the order you type the person names.

But I agree that a multi-choice field with radio buttons would be cool.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 09:55:47 am »

OK, thanks! But if I create a view scheme based on People, won't the different combinations be sorted differently?

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 10:00:33 am »

Have you tried using "Tagging Mode" in a view scheme in panes view? You can set your "People" field as one of the panes and when you enable "Tagging Mode" there will be a check-box beside each value that you can tick to asign the value to the field. Since it's a multi-choice field, you can tick as much values as you need for each image.

Hope it helps.

michel

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 10:04:36 am »

None combination will appear on the view scheme, only single persons !

If you have a photo P1 with A;B people and the photo P2 with B;C;A you will see in the view scheme (let say the view scheme include only a 'people' pane to simplify the explaination):

A -> lists P1 and P2
B -> lists P1 and P2
C -> lists P2

The better is to try.

michel

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 10:07:53 am »

Have you tried using "Tagging Mode" in a view scheme in panes view? You can set your "People" field as one of the panes and when you enable "Tagging Mode" there will be a check-box beside each value that you can tick to asign the value to the field. Since it's a multi-choice field, you can tick as much values as you need for each image.

Hope it helps.
You are right, I forgot the tagging mode !

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 10:12:24 am »

OK, thanks! But if I create a view scheme based on People, won't the different combinations be sorted differently?

No, your "people" pane view will show a list of all your individual values in alphabetical order, i.e.

Hobbit
Mastiff
Mrs. Mastiff
etc.

michel

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 10:19:34 am »

Is it possible to use the "tagging mode" not to tag but to set search rules ?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 10:49:02 am »

Thanks! Got it. I had messed up the field by writing in values that were separated by spaces, not semi colons! :)
But one question: If I control+click on the view items Mastiff and Mrs. Mastiff, I will get all photos where either one of us or both are. How do I get only the photos with both of us? It's not "[Mastiff]&[Mrs. Mastiff]" or "[Mastiff];[Mrs. Mastiff]" or even "[Mastiff]AND[Mrs. Mastiff]". So how do I do that one?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 11:14:17 am »

hi there Mastiff,
this comes up quite often, here's some of what has gone before....

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30671.0
How do you select multiple criteria in view

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=28894.0
Organizing pictures using people

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31097.0
Help with database expressions

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27672.0
MC11: Search for string in 'People' field

---------------------

perhaps a viewscheme with several [people] panes would work?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 11:18:10 am »

Thanks! Looks like I have a bit of reading tomorrow (it's time I get family oriented, I think, or the "divorce lawyer look" will start to appear in my wife's face pretty soon ...)!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 11:19:53 am »

I know that look well :D

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 07:21:49 am »

The first link gave me the idea I could live with (going through 3500++ photos more than once didn't really appeal),  I wound up making People 1-4, so together with People I have 5 people fields. Then I copied the info from People to those four other fields. Finally I made a view scheme with those five things as the criteria, so if I click on Mastiff in the first field, I'll have all pictures with me. Then I click mrs. Mastiff in the second field, and I've only got left those with both of us (not too many, I take most of the pictures), and then in the third column I can choose Hobbit, so I'll only have the photos with us three in 'em. Very nice! As an added touch I added the Places as the last criterium, so I can get photos taken at home with the persons I choose, at the cabin or whatever. Thanks for the help! :)

Marra

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 08:24:46 am »

This is how I get around this using one semi-colon delimited People field.
Create a view scheme with 2 (or more) panes set as People.  By selecting X person in 1st pane will then show all the other people in the photo in the next pane.
I also use this for genres - select Rock in 1st pane, Country in the 2nd gives you Country Rock. 
Hope this makes sense and is helpful.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2006, 09:00:00 am »

You're right, of course! No need to have People 1-4, I can just use the People field several times in the same view scheme! Thanks!

enervation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2006, 11:16:01 am »

Also, if you want just 2 people, with noone else, you can do this:
[=isequal([people],Person1;Person2,1)]=1 or [=isequal([people],Person2;Person1,1)]=1
This can get a bit unwieldly with more than 2 people - with 3 people, you need 6 statements, with 4 you need 24, with 5 you need 120  :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up