I Like To View Files As Cover Art
- 6 (26.1%)
I Like To View Files In Details Mode
- 16 (69.6%)
I Don't Care
- 1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Details Vs Cover Art  (Read 2358 times)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Details Vs Cover Art
« on: March 13, 2006, 05:48:38 am »

I Like To Look At Cover Art But Not When I Am Trying To Work On Files I Can Get MC Into Details Mode But Not Windows XP (I Need To Change Every Folder)

Is there A Way To Change Something In Windows XP to make sue when i look at files it always comes up in "Details" mode?

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Details Vs Cover Art
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 05:56:48 am »

using windows explorer?

open a folder, set it how you like it, not forgetting the status bar..

now click on tools > folder options

click on the view tab, then click on the "make all folders show like this one" that you see at the top. (those aren't the precise words, but you'll see what I mean)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 11:25:33 am »

click on the view tab, then click on the "make all folders show like this one" that you see at the top. (those aren't the precise words, but you'll see what I mean)

A Button "Apply To All Folders"

that worked.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 03:10:39 pm »

It does not look like anyone uses images to browse there Music.

I am kind of shocked in a way.

Now i am wondering why a user would like detail mode over image mode.

I prefer details mode because i guess i am Old school in a way, where i want the details on the file and data, the image is really not important.

In details mode I think J River did a good job presenting it in a user configurable way.

Q1. If this is the mode users use most, i wonder what JRiver could do to this mode that will enhance the user interface in this mode.

Q2. If you like image mode, what can JRiver do to enhance that mode for you the user?

Q3. if you don't use Image mode, what do you think JRiver could do to enhance Image mode for you so you might use image mode (cover art mode).

I think everyone wants to get the most out of there MC and music and JRiver has always wanted to bring A user configurable interface to us users. what input can you give to maybe give ideas to maybe improve the different modes.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 06:08:33 pm »

Two things to enhance image mode:

1) Now that we have a nice way to differentiate between a single album and multiple albums (very cool), I find myself really wanting a double-click on a stack of albums to go "into" the stack instead of playing it...

2) There needs to be a way to customize what the Play link does.

-John

mountainfair

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 01:53:35 am »

Browsing cover art is where MC really shines.  There is just nothing else out there that compare.

I use both, of course, depending on what I am doing, but many other players browse details just as well as MC. 

Browsing by cover art opens up a whole new dimension.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 04:32:07 am »

The "Both" choice is missing from the poll.

I use both at the same time (inside MC).

My calculated "Album Artist (Auto) / Album" tile view works perfectly fine on the top and the bottom shows about 40 fields in the details mode.

When I click one of the top thumbnails MC shows instantly the track details of the selected album only.

One of my Artist/Albums view schemes shows about 2200 separate full albums on the top. When the new system was introduced the calculated view was very slow, but after Matt did some hexifying  :)  and other magical tricks it became as fast as the other views. It has become my preferred way to browse albums.

Usually I have not decided what artist I like to listen to before browsing the albums. I have found browsing all albums side by side much better than first selecting an artist and then browsing the albums from the selected artist only.

IMHO, the "Album Artist (auto) - Album" field should be one of the default library fields and it should be one of the default audio scheme view items.

My instructions for making the calculated field & view scheme:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30774.msg212216#msg212216

In that example I have included all media types, but naturally the view can be audio only as well. (I use them both.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 12:04:25 pm »

Alex B. -

How did you get buttons to show up instead of the pull-down? (I've outlined in the image below what I'm referring too). I've spent about 15 minutes just trying to figure it out through the interface. It must be buried deep, discontinued, or I must be missing something really obvious.

Thanks!

-q

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 01:23:30 pm »

Discontinued.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up