INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming video through LS question  (Read 801 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Streaming video through LS question
« on: March 12, 2006, 06:41:46 pm »

Hi!
As I just discovered Library Server as a wonderful addition to MC, playing songs from my main comp to my laptop via wireless is a breeze.

Of course, one is always looking for new, better ways to do stuff. Until today, I used WMP to view video files from the desktop to my laptop, but I thought I'd give MC a go, getting the files updated with play info and such (plus, they're already imported into MC, why not use it?). Browsing the movies and getting cover art, ratings and all that stuff, nice!

But that was a no no. A 700mb ripped video, encoded with xvid took waaay too long to start playback, in fact so long that I interrupted playback after 10 minutes and it hadn't yet started.

Is this not possible? Am I forced to continue viewing video through WMP?

Thanks!
/Martin

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Streaming video through LS question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 03:15:54 am »

I have noticed that only MPEG1 videos can be streamed through the Library Server.

All other video formats including xvid avi can be played, but the client must download a temp copy of the complete video file before it can start playback.

You may want to play those files directly from a network share instead. Then MC should work just like WMP. For example, you could make a separate library for videos or just browse the folder in Drives & Devices >  My Computer > My Network Places.

Personally, I use this system: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=29585.msg204025#msg204025

From time to time I have asked if Library Server could have an optional mode for local LANs. Instead of streaming it could just provide the clients a library that uses standard shared network addresses and let the clients do all the rest.

Actually, it could be a separate server. Something like "On The Fly Library Copy Provider". It could have predefined options for the address translations, e.g. Replace C:\My Music\ with N:\ or replace D:\Videos\ with \\Computer name\Videos\ , etc.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Marty3d

Re: Streaming video through LS question
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 05:35:44 pm »

Thanks Alex!

Well, I'd really like for MC to handle video better in this case, but I'll live...For now, I stick with WMP, it doesn't make sense to use MC for this type of viewing. Perhaps in a future version...? :)

Thanks again!
/Martin

Pages: [1]   Go Up