INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replicate Tree Structure in Second (lossy) Library?  (Read 963 times)

Jakester

• World Citizen
Replicate Tree Structure in Second (lossy) Library?
« on: March 17, 2006, 10:46:11 am »

I tried used handheld sync to create an .mp3 version of my .ape library on a virtual device (local HD).

The files show up, but no directory structure - all files are in the same directory.

1) Is there anyway to create an .mp3 version of my library while retaining the directory structure?  Whatever method I use has to have the ability to sync using smartlists.  For example, I only want songs I rate 3 or higher from certain genres to exist in the .mp3 library.

2) Also, after importing the .mp3s into WMP and Winamp they both show that the rating field is blank (along with other fields such as year - genre, album, artist are fine).  Is there anyway to maintain the rating field?!  It's a lot of effort to rate 10K songs and I want that information to be present in the .mp3 version of my library!

3) If handheld sync is the only way to generate a lossy version of my library using smartlist sync, how do I activate the option to remove files on target device that are not part of the current sync?  That option is greyed out when I select my local HD virtual device as the target.

Thanks all,

Jake

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Replicate Tree Structure in Second (lossy) Library?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 11:44:21 am »

You can specify how folders get created here:
Options > Handheld > Files & Paths > Audio path > [Artist]\[Album]

Tags should get appended to the new files.  I just tried with the latest MC 11.1 and it put tags on MP3s created from APE files.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jakester

• World Citizen
Re: Replicate Tree Structure in Second (lossy) Library?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 01:57:56 pm »

Thanks Matt - I just ranted a bit in another thread about maintaining two versions of the same library - sorry for the rant but this is such an obvious issue.

I'm running 11.0.280 so I'll upgrade and give the handhelp options another look.

One last biggie question please - if I update a tag in my .ape library and do another sync to my virtual handheld will the file with the updated tag be re-synced to the .mp3 library?  I'm in the process of rating my 10K library and do not want to do it twice!

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up