INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11.1 won't recognize my FLAC tags - Help!  (Read 2011 times)

scottfree

• Recent member
MC 11.1 won't recognize my FLAC tags - Help!
« on: April 17, 2006, 07:20:30 pm »

Hey I was hoping someone might have had a simular problem to me and know how to fix this.

I was using Media Center 10 to DJ and had tagged my entire collection (60+GB) with beats per minute, exact recording date, session band, vocalists and some soloists. When I reformatted my computer I decided to upgrade to 11.1 and now I can't get any of my tags to show up, the only remaining tag is the year portion of the recording date.

I spent untold hours working on those tags (40-80 hours) and I need to recover them. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? I thought that the files themselves might be currupted but I had a backup and the tags won't show up when I load those into MC either.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

scthom

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 11.1 won't recognize my FLAC tags - Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 10:38:26 pm »

I assume you are trying to import all of the files, as opposed to upgrading the Media Center database.  I presume the database would have contained that information and updating it would have kept it.

The flac standard says the DATE tag should contain the year (only).

Which version of the flac plugins are you using?
When you do a "File Type Info", is the tag with correct information in the file?
What format is the tag in (vorbis or ID3) ?

scottfree

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 02:38:56 am »

Thank you for replying!  :)

Yes, I used the "import media" function to import my FLAC files. I was under the assumption that the tags were stored in the files themselves, the friend who recommended MC to me told me that. Sounds like I should have looked into it further...

Media center had a field for month day and year, so I just went ahead and entered all that data, it worked up untill now.

Im using version 1.3.0 of the FLAC plugin. I'm not sure what you mean by "file type info." When I load these files into other programs, they don't show the tags... Although I could have sworn that they did before I did this whole reformat and changing the software around.

As for the tags, I'm embarrased to say that I dont know. I used EAC to copy everything, and I believe that it used ID3 tags. I have the "add ID3 tags" option checked off, so I would guess they are ID3 tags.

I'm sorry I don't know more about this. Do you have any idea where I went wrong? Is there any way to recover the tags?

Thanks, Scott.

scottfree

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 08:06:53 pm »

Ok, sorry I didn't know what the file type info thing was, but I figured it out. This is what it said under file type info. Hopefully you can make better sense of it than I can. I do see the BPM though, and that was the hardest tag, because i ended up manually counting the beats for all the songs (Media Centers BPM counter is great, better than anything else I've seen, but nothing can quite get vintage swing music BPM right).

Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC)
  44.1 kHz Sample Rate
  16 Bits Per Sample
  2 Channels

Min Block Size = 4608
  Max Block Size = 4608
  Min Frame Size = 14
  Max Frame Size = 5905
  Padding Block = 3890 bytes

SeekTable Block (270 bytes):
  # of points = 15

Vorbis Comment Block (429 bytes):
  Vendor String = reference libFLAC 1.1.2 20050205
  MEDIAJUKEBOX:TOOL NAME = Media Center
  MEDIAJUKEBOX:TOOL VERSION = 10.0.173
  MEDIAJUKEBOX:REPLAY GAIN = -10.34995
  MEDIAJUKEBOX:PEAK LEVEL = 0.85269
  ARTIST = Dickie McBride & The Village Boys
  TRACKNUMBER = 8
  MEDIAJUKEBOX:BPM = 222
  ALBUM = <Too Long To Display>
  TITLE = Tulsa Twist
  GENRE = Western Swing
  DATE = 1941
  MEDIAJUKEBOX:INTENSITY = 1

scthom

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 09:22:19 pm »

Thanks for the info.  The "MEDIAJUKEBOX:" is throwing things off.

There's enough of this that I'll add a routine in the plugins to look for that.  Look for a new plugin in the near future that will fix this.

MC will only store some tags to the files.  Other information is kept in the database but not the tags.  In general, if you had the file in MC to begin with, it's better to simply upgrade the database as opposed to making a clean database and importing the files over again.  You potentially lose some data.

scthom

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 11:23:38 pm »

For those following this thread, I posted In_FLAC v1.6.5 on the Sourceforge page noted below.

scottfree

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 02:37:39 am »

Thank you so much! I certainly didn't expect you to revise the plug in, thats above and beyond.

... Unfortunately, my tags still aren't showing up. Do you have any other ideas as to why? There is good news, I converted all these files to MP3 a while back, and the tags are intact with the MP3 files, I'm just dreading having to copy and paste 5 fields for like 6,000 songs. I guess that's my punishment for being stupid  :P

scthom

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 09:01:52 pm »

Don't forget to either re-import them or do a "Update library from tags" via the right-click menu.

Just installing the plugin won't do it.

scottfree

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 09:15:14 pm »

I re-imported them and nothing changed, but when I  did an "Update library from tags" it worked! I've got all my tags back! I cannot possibly thank you enough!

scthom

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 10:23:05 pm »

Glad to hear it worked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up