INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipod sync question re. playcounts etc.  (Read 1501 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
ipod sync question re. playcounts etc.
« on: March 18, 2006, 02:39:08 am »

if I plug the ipod in while MC is running, MC auto-detects the ipod and syncs the playcounts and last played info, then it prepares the 'sync' list.

If I don't press the sync button, instead, just charge the ipod and disconnect it, will MC still correctly track the [last played] and [number plays] info the next time I connect the ipod?

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
Re: ipod sync question re. playcounts etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 12:57:30 am »

The ipod firmware erases the playcount and last played data after it's disconnected whether or not it's sync'd so the data is lost if the ipod is not sync'd.

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 07:35:27 pm »

The ipod firmware erases the playcount and last played data after it's disconnected whether or not it's sync'd so the data is lost if the ipod is not sync'd.

Interesting.  The playcount info on my 5G and Nano both remain intact even after disconnecting (assuming MC was not running while the IPOD was connected).  Which IPOD are you using?  I wonder if it is another program (iTunes, MC, etc.) accessing the db on the IPOD, and not the IPOD itself, that is removing the playcount.  If you have MC open when you plug in the IPOD (even with "get play stats" button unchecked) MC will clear the playcounts on the IPOD before you disconnect.

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 12:16:38 am »

I have the 5G now, but my memory was of the 3G. I haven't checked this behavior with the 5G. Perhaps MC was modifying my db even when I didn't sync?

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 03:39:56 pm »

Perhaps MC was modifying my db even when I didn't sync?

Probably.  I use AudioPod to sync my IPOD playcounts to last.fm and I have to have MC closed whenever I plug my IPOD in or else it will clear the playcounts.  I can't count how many times I forgot to close it and lost the playcounts before syncing :-(

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 02:01:07 am »

thanks for the replies.
It makes sense that MC sync's the playcounts then resets them, you just can't take anything for granted though, if you know what I mean.

This is my 1st handheld device (though I did own a walkman about 25 years ago!!) and after 3 months I'm quite pleased with my purchase. I'm doubly pleased with MC's competent handling of the ipod too. I still have not installed itunes here and I don't feel I'm missing out on anything at all by not doing so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up