INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track info in G-Force  (Read 1698 times)

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
Track info in G-Force
« on: March 16, 2006, 05:32:05 pm »

G-Force used to show track info (and Album Art) continuously for every song that played.  Which is just what I want.  But, sometime after I upgraded to MC 11.1, it stopped doing this.  I have to tell it to show info for each song as it plays.  I have the settings in G-Force configured correctly, I have even tried editing the G-Force's boot.ini file (which, I could be doing wrong) but, still, track info is not persistent.  I have MC 11.1.141 now and am running it on Windows XP Pro.  Any suggewstions, folks?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Track info in G-Force
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 11:02:07 pm »

Hmmm.  That's odd.  I can definitely say that my MC 11.1.147 + G-Force doesn't work that way (and I just have a completely stock G-Force install).

Which version of G-Force are you running?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 10:07:38 pm »

I have G-Force verison 3.1.3 - the latest version, I believe.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled it several times but, this has not helped.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 04:18:15 am »

just did an uninstall/reinstall myself and either something's changed or something's broken.

1st of all, Psyffer23, the setting you are after is available via the toolbar. To access the options, click on the bevel you see along the bottom edge of the gf toolbar....

and that should fix that for you.

On exit, Gforce is supposed to save a 'prefs.txt' file in the XP user folder, but mine is not doing so. It makes a gforce folder, but does not save anything inside it, it appears to be using the "all users" directory instead.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 05:39:10 pm »

Thanks Marko but, I am aware of where the settings are in the tool bar and I have them set to diplay track info / album art continuously.  It just doesn't work.  I know G-force prefs reset everytime MC is closed and restarted and this is annoying but, I can live with it.  However, it shouldn't reset itself between every song.  This is my problem.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 01:27:22 am »

just fyi, mine don't reset every time. once I set them, they stay set unless I change them or reinstall/upgrade.

I'm fresh out of ideas as to what could be causing problems at your end, but, as there are quite a few MC/Gforce users out there, I think that if there were a major problem, this thread would be a lot busier than it has been.

Have you tried posting about this over at the soundspectrum forums?
It's possible that Andy may have an idea or that someone over there has come across this problem before.

-marko.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 07:31:25 pm »

Yeah, I'm Stumpin' 'em over at SoundSpectrum, too.  Anyway, Marko, thanks for your input.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 04:09:09 pm »

Is it possible that the G-Force Prefs file in your /Documents and Settings/<user>/ directory is set to Read-Only or that the File Ownership/Permissions are messed up?

There's also a Global Preferences file in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\G-Force that you might want to check out.

Make sure to check the file ownership and permissions (right click on file/folder -- Properties -- Security -- Advanced -- Owner to reset/check the owner).  And, make sure to check the file permissions/ownership and the permissions/ownership of the parent directory.  If you want to reset a bunch of them, you can select a parent folder and under Security -- Advanced you can check the "Replace Permission Entries on all child objects with entries here..." option before you click okay.  This bizarrely named option essentially resets any of the folder's sub-items back to the default of "obey parent's permissions" (if they have their own explicitly defined options).

Therefore, if you find a bunch of stuff that got messed up (through some wacky restore process or something), you can simply reset the Owner on the whole <user> directory (making sure to include child objects) and then set the permissions how they should be on that folder, then apply those recursively to the rest of the sub-tree.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 08:21:12 pm »

Thanks, Glynor.  I believe you were on to something here.  There was NO prefs file in my docs&settings\<user>\gforce folder.  It was just empty.  So, I wasn't really able to fix permissions, etc.  I even copied the <all users> pref file into the folder but, to no avail.  However, I just updated G-Force to their Beta 3.5 and this has solved the problem.  G-Force tech support couldn't fix the issue either, so they comped me an upgrade to G-Force Platinum and let me download the Beta.  I'm glad that worked.  Anyway, thanks for your and everybodies help.  I appreciate it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up