INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modifying tags on "client".  (Read 1309 times)

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
Modifying tags on "client".
« on: March 27, 2006, 04:44:54 pm »

I just discovered - after modifying a bunch of tag information on my client PC - that the changes are NOT saved back to the library on the server. Is this a bug or by design? If it's by design, I'd suggest that editing on the client be disabled. I just wasted a lot of time. This is an easy pit for a newbie (or spouse) to fall into.

kamimeguro

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Modifying tags on "client".
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 10:57:57 pm »

While searching for Tag/library edition from a client, I found avpman post and agree on the fact that editing shall be disabled when using a distant library.

I have today 3 PCs using the same server, which I buried in the basement without monitor/keyboard/mouse and the possibility to use a client for full control of my library will be a plus and a trigger to upgrade to MC 12...
Today I use distant access for that purpose and and I find it pure nonsense.

Any chance to see distant tagging available in MC12?
Or did we missed something and this is already possible?
Kami
Win 10 pro, Oppo 105, Onkyo TX-NR818, Elipson Axial 160, B&W 805S, Linn 5150, Yamaha GT750, Sony KDL-55W900A...

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 08:40:43 am »

The solution I use is to have the library on my client PC. All the music files are on the server. I can tag all I want and everything works fine. Various times I'll backup the library to the server and then the other machines in the house can restore from the server to get the changes. As long as you restore from the library before making changes on a client, you shouldn't have a problem.
Jeff

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 08:51:58 am »

I describe my system in great detail here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26442.msg184015#msg184015

It works splendidly, and can work with more than 2 computers.  I do not use the built-in MC library server at all.

(Make sure to read that thread all the way down, I eventually posted the actual scripts.  They're no longer the "current" versions that I still use, but they are very similar and you'll get the idea.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

kamimeguro

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 10:58:45 pm »

Thanks a lot guys!
I will give it a try and hopefully continue using MC.
What I want is a library being up to date once for all and accessible from other machines, that is why I feel a bit frustrated with the actuel library behaviour...
Will let you know the results.
Kami
Win 10 pro, Oppo 105, Onkyo TX-NR818, Elipson Axial 160, B&W 805S, Linn 5150, Yamaha GT750, Sony KDL-55W900A...
Pages: [1]   Go Up