INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm "IRDA" clueless ... help  (Read 922 times)

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • TiVo-aholic
I'm "IRDA" clueless ... help
« on: September 20, 2002, 09:57:23 am »

I have a new PC with an IRDA port on the front .. I would like to use my Sony A/V remote to do Play/Pause/Next etc functionality in MJ ...

Can someone get me started ? Do I need an external program, is there a plugin, is there something inherent to WinXP I can setup to use IR commands and map them to keystrokes ... ?

Im not looking to pay for anything extra (the mobo cost me a fortune as it is) ... I didnt even know it came with an IRDA module :)

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
Re: I'm "IRDA" clueless ... help
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2002, 10:25:56 am »

Sorry to report IRDA is not the same as consumer IR...

You have a slim chance of getting some success with Girder and the IRDA plug in but it is clearly labeled as 'beta / partially functional / dont email for support' !!!

Serial IR in devices run as cheap as $20 and would save you a lot of hassle....
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2002, 10:36:32 am »

Dang! ... I looked at Girder .... Beta with IRDA didnt go well (in fact, wldnt load) ...

Guess im going to have to get an IR controller (USB preferred)... Any suggestions on something quick/cheap/easily integrated ... Im not looking to do anything besides ... play/next/pause ... and I dont want to spent days writing scripts to do so ..

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2002, 11:00:59 am »

Yeah, the range on IRDA is really limited, IIRC. You can pick up an IRMan really cheap. It's a serial IR receiver and it works great with Girder.

Girder can receive an IR signal and then process a multitude of commands. The nice thing about MJ is that all of the basic commands are available from a command line (see the mjextman document on the developer's page) so it's a breeze to set up.

Well, it's not quite as easy as the old Girder plugin and export group, but it's easy enough. I can export my group and put it up for download somewhere if anybody wants it. It should work fine as long as you have MJ installed to the default location of C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox. If not, you'd just have to adjust the commands slightly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up